Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad locked up, asking for mail password

Hello

My ipad2 is locked. When I open it, it immediately asks for my exchange password through a dialog. I put in the correct password, but it won't accept it and keeps asking me for another. I tried to 'cancel' the password dialog, but that doesn't do anything as the 'Password Incorrect' dialog re-appears immediately.

I can't do anything with the ipad becuase this damned password dialog stops everything.

How can I get control of the ipad again?

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:34 AM

I had the exact same problem a while ago... I did a reset: Hold the power button and the Home button for 10 seconds.

When the iPad came to life again, the dialog was gone. Just go into the Exchange account settings and set the correct password and it should not happen again.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2012 7:34 AM in response to helen_j

I had the exact same problem a while ago... I did a reset: Hold the power button and the Home button for 10 seconds.

When the iPad came to life again, the dialog was gone. Just go into the Exchange account settings and set the correct password and it should not happen again.

Jan 3, 2012 8:01 AM in response to helen_j

Glad it helped 🙂

When this happened to me, it was because I had changed the password on the corporate Exchange server, which of course triggers iPad to ask for the new password. Usually, this works without any problems, but this one time iPad got stuck in some infinate loop.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies with your Exchange password, not with your iPad...

Aug 27, 2012 3:01 AM in response to per184

It is an iPad problem.

1. Because it's unacceptable when a unit gets looked due to a change in the Exchange password. If you press the cancel button, you may assume your Exchange connection is of course no longer working till the issue is fixed, but not that the unit gets looked forwever. For what purpose it the Cancel button than for canceling the operation. If by design it's just looping, then this is an design error and needs to be fixed.

2. I experienced this problem as well the same way because of the Exchange password change the first time.

But it is now repeating from time to time (without a Password change) and it looks happening, when the iPad connects to a WiFi or network which gives no Internet access. E.g. today it took presumably the WiFi from another house, because my own WiFi seemed to be out of reach. So WiFi connected there, but received no internet access. Because of that, no Exchnage authorisation was possible. Normaly this is not a problem, you dont get prompted to a new password just because of that. Then I tried to access the iPad again when I was out, with no WiFi near and no data connection any where. Same problem..

In the office then, the ipad connected first to the PWLAN instad of mine. Same problem, as no Internet connection was possible. Because of that the Exchange Login was looping despite canceling it and I was unable to access the iPad configuration to force the iPad to connect to my own WiFi. - If this is not an error, what is an error?

Thue to the Tip here of rebooting, I was able to access Conficuration and have the iPad select my WiFi and it all worked WITHOUT that I needed to change my Password, as the Exchange was not changed.

This issue should be corrected by Apple at least to the point, that a Cancel really cancels the process and not leading into a loop, blocking the iPad.

Aug 27, 2012 4:24 AM in response to Beat Walter

In most cases, the number of times you have to press "cancel" is due to the number of calls to Exchange that needs to be executed. If you have a large number of new emails, the dialogue will pop up for each one.

I just experienced once that it actually got stuck in an infinite loop, other times it was just a matter of clicking through all "cancel" buttons...

I run Exchange for my corporate email on both my iPad and iPhone. When I have encountered this problem, it has been on both devices simultaneously. This leads me to believe that the problem is not really with the individual device, but with the interface between iOS and Exchange.

Ipad locked up, asking for mail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.