Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between Serial ATA Drive and Solid State Drive

I need to buy a MacBook Pro for work. Does anyone know what the difference is between the standard Serial ATA Drive and the more expensive Solid State Drive? It seems to me that the Solid State Drives are smaller, so I'm wondering why they cost more.

I'd like to choose the 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm due to it's capacity and speed, but I'm not sure what the advantage would be to purchase the $450 upgrade to the 256GB Solid State Drive.

Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 7:45 AM

Serial SATA is the same thing as a SSD. Meaning an SSD is still a Serial SATA drive. It means the type of interface it has. Are you wondering what the difference is between a mechanical HDD and SSD? If so, a SSD will be more efficient, run cooler and 100% silent, ALOT more durable and of course the performance is unbeliavable. If you want a good web site for learning about SSD's, go to www.the ssdreview.com. They talk all SSD's. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a Samung 830 SSD and never look back. It will allow you to take advantage of the 6Gbps speed that the new MBP's have.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2012 7:45 AM in response to janieding

Serial SATA is the same thing as a SSD. Meaning an SSD is still a Serial SATA drive. It means the type of interface it has. Are you wondering what the difference is between a mechanical HDD and SSD? If so, a SSD will be more efficient, run cooler and 100% silent, ALOT more durable and of course the performance is unbeliavable. If you want a good web site for learning about SSD's, go to www.the ssdreview.com. They talk all SSD's. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a Samung 830 SSD and never look back. It will allow you to take advantage of the 6Gbps speed that the new MBP's have.

Jan 4, 2012 7:52 AM in response to janieding

Serial ATA is an electrical connection/data transfer standard so does not define the drive type. I believe you are asking the difference between a conventional hard disk drive and the SSD.

The conventional hard drive has moving parts: the spinning metal platter and the "read/write" arm. The read/write arm move back and forth recording data on to a magnetic coating on the platter.

A solid state drive has no moving parts. Data is stored on memory devices similar to the RAM sticks in the computer, but designed to maintain the information when the computer is powered off.

The solid state memory devices are still relative new technology for consumers so a modest capacity SSD drive will still cost more thatn a large capacity hard drive. I'm sure the price of SSDs will drop and their capacities will increase with time.

The theoretical advantages of SSDs are speed--they read and write data much faster than can conventional hard drives, and the lack of moving pats, which should make then more durable.

Difference between Serial ATA Drive and Solid State Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.