Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help my 10 year old daughter broke new ipad2

I spent a whole year saving to buy my wife a new ipad2 64gb for Xmas well tonight without permission my 10 year old daughter climbed up to the top of the bookcase and snatched my nw iPad I dint here my daughter running around the house and then I went into my sons room and she was in the closet crying when I asked her what was wrong she handed me my wife's new iPad and the screen is now cracked she said she took my iPad to play a math game app and she set the iPad down on the closet shelf to go to bathroom and when she returned to her little fort hangout in the closet the iPad fel of the shelf and the glass was cracked in many places we live in the suburbs of Chicago and I have herd rumors that apple will sometimes replace the screen glass for free as a one time only thing does anyone know whice apple store in il west suburbs like oak brook or Schaumburg would I have the best luck of getting this replaced for free and or what should I tell the pole genies that is going to call me Sunday.

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 9:11 PM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2012 9:06 AM in response to launchpad143

There is no such policy as a "free one time only" replacement of a cracked screen. Some people have reported that they have been able to bring their iPad in and get a screen replacement, but usually not when it's cracked or there's sign of damage. The genius on the phone won't be able to do anything, since they can not repair it over the phone. Take it back to the store and see what happened, but I would not expect a free replacement.

Jan 8, 2012 6:04 PM in response to launchpad143

I hate to counterdict PogoPossum above, but I have had this issue before several times with different devies and both apple genius employees told me they could give me a one time exception. Don't bother with the genius bar calling you, I would go up to the apple store and just explain what happened (That's what I did). The genius bar employee told me he appreciated my honesty (basically told him I dropped it) and he would do a one-time exception for me. What a lot of people don't know is that it is completely up to the genius bar employee you are dealing with. (This is what a friend of mine who worked for apple said). So just go up there, be honest, and see what they can do. It never hurts to ask....

Jan 9, 2012 6:53 AM in response to macprogirly

As PogoPossum said, there is no Apple policy that guarantees a one-time replacement for user-damaged iPads. Yes, in some cases the Genius has been able to do this, but it's not automatic, and Apple's been tightening up on such exceptions. So launchpad can by all means ask, but s/he should not be surprised if the request is turned down.

Regards.

Help my 10 year old daughter broke new ipad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.