Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.2 and .pdf files.

Safari 5.1.2 opens .pdf files in Quicktime, not Preview. Why?

How can I change it to default to Preview?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 3:11 AM

12 replies

Jan 10, 2012 6:27 AM in response to Darach Corcoran1

Safari has a "built-in" PDF viewer and shouldn't use QuickTime browser plug-in (Preview doesn't have a browser plug-in).

Switch to the Finder and hold down the option key while clicking on the Go menu. Scroll down to Library to open your User Library folder.

Open the Preferences folder and drag com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist to your Desktop.

Quit and relauch Safari and test a PDF again.

Jan 10, 2012 6:45 AM in response to Darach Corcoran1

First, there is no such file as "WebKit built-in PDF," so you can't move it to the Trash.

Quit Safari.

Open the Library folder in your home folder by selecting Go > Library from the Finder menu bar (Lion), or by looking in the folder with the house icon in the sidebar of a Finder window (pre-Lion.)

Delete the following items from the Library folder:

Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Preferences/com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

Preferences/QuickTime Preferences

Relaunch Safari and test.

Feb 5, 2012 12:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, I have the inverse problem, maybe you can help with this one too:

I regularly have to get the current day's weather maps and other flight information from an official aeronautical site. They are pdf files and I need them on my disc. This was very easy in Safari before 5.1 but now these maps are displayed inside the browser's window, which is exactly not what I want. I can't right-click on the links because there is a javascript in between. Is there any way whatever to tell Safari once and for all never to display a pdf but always download it? I just don't have the time and emotional energy to waste on telling it to save each map manually.

Thanks for any hint... (or is the answer that I should use Firefox?)

Safari 5.1.2 and .pdf files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.