Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i clear 2.5gb of 'other' from my Iphone memory

Itunes shows my IPhone as having 2.5gb of 'other'. Any ideas how i can clear this?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 12:57 AM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2018 1:10 PM in response to staylor54

I'm afraid it's my experience that this 'other' phenomenon is just a way of life.

I had accumulated just over 2gb on my iPhone 5, I tried everything I could possibly think of and in the end I restored the phone.

It wasn't long after restore that it is back up again, this time to 2.45gb.

There is nothing left I can try – I've cleared out pictures, videos, deleted all my messages, even gone into 'Usage' to try to find what's accounting for it, but to no avail.

I did read (whether rightly or wrongly) that the upgrade to iOS 7 accounted for a lot of it because the operating system suddenly became a lot bigger, but...one way or another it seems there is just no way to clear it out unfortunately.

I find that the values fluctuate during sync sometimes as well, so I've resigned myself to the fact that a) I can do bugger all about it, and b) just because it says 2.45gb doesn't necessarily mean that's how much is really being used!

Jan 15, 2012 10:59 AM in response to staylor54

I'd just like to point out what causes this. Restoring will delete this but only because it restores back to a previous backup. The main cause for "other" data in huge amounts is actually data stored from iMessage. When you send or recieve pictures, it will save some data of the sent image or video on the iPhone even though it isn't evident on the iPhone in another way. If you delete all of your iMessages from your messages app, I'm pretty certain that it would delete a lot of the other data you're seeing when you plug your phone into iTunes 🙂

How can i clear 2.5gb of 'other' from my Iphone memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.