Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my battery will only charge to 99%, why?

Hi, i just recently got a macbook pro for christmas, it is awesome and i love it. However, the time estimator and percentage estimater says my percentage is only 99% even though it is fully charged. There is no way it can be an old issue because its less than a month old. I also just recently calibrated it by fully charging it keeping it pluged in for an extra two hours than using it till it went to sleep mode, than leaving it for 5 hours than fully charged it and it still says 99% when fully charged. help?

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 7:37 PM

i just talked to an apple expert. if you are running OS X 10.8 on MacBook Pro, your battery only charges up to 99% for security purposes. It lasts your overall battery life longer. Don't stress.😉 If you are running OS X 10.8 on MacBook Pro Retina, your battery will only charge up to 93%-95% for security purposes. Your general battery life will last longer. This is an advantage so don't stress.

Sorry, but I don't know about MacBook Air.

Maybe call 1(800)MY-APPLE and they will help.

Hope you found this helpful.

🙂

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2012 7:37 PM in response to wrathofzar

i just talked to an apple expert. if you are running OS X 10.8 on MacBook Pro, your battery only charges up to 99% for security purposes. It lasts your overall battery life longer. Don't stress.😉 If you are running OS X 10.8 on MacBook Pro Retina, your battery will only charge up to 93%-95% for security purposes. Your general battery life will last longer. This is an advantage so don't stress.

Sorry, but I don't know about MacBook Air.

Maybe call 1(800)MY-APPLE and they will help.

Hope you found this helpful.

🙂

Jan 14, 2012 11:34 PM in response to wrathofzar

This is normal. The batteries used in these computers are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery.

When setting the Mac OS X battery status menu bar icon to display charge state by percentage, you may notice that the reported charge stays between 93 or 95 percent and 99 percent.

To allow the adapter to recharge the battery to 100%, simply allow the charge to drop below 93%. The adapter will automatically recharge the battery to 100%.

Portables with built-in batteries

Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure. These computers use batteries that shouldbe replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

MacBook

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later

MacBook Air

MacBook Air, all versions

MacBook Pro

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and later
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) and later

Aug 22, 2012 7:43 PM in response to wrathofzar

100% is relative. I use Coconut Battery (available at macupdate.com) that tells me my MBP battery can hold 101% of factory design. And that 101% changes a little bit after each "use down to 40%, then recharge" cycle -- sometimes up, sometines down.

So sometimes your 99% may be more than 100% of factory design.

All is relative when you start counting exact mAh values instead of "rounded to nearest %".

my battery will only charge to 99%, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.