Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iTunes pricing so much more than Amazon

I am curious as to why iTunes pricing is way more expensive than Amazon for both music and movies??

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 2:27 AM

Come on guys stop playing dumb.. You all know what he/she is asking: why are some iTunes songs 1.29 while the same song on amazon's is 0.99?

Yikes!

65 replies

Jan 16, 2012 8:23 AM in response to NorhernMist

They may not be the identical product. I believe Amazon sells music in mp3 format, Apple sells it as AAC (which is considered better quality for identical bitrates). It looks like Amazon video is streaming whereas iTunes video is a file download. With streaming you require a constant, fast Internet connection and have to stream again with each time you watch it. With file downloads you can take it anywhere (e.g., airplane)

Jan 16, 2012 9:02 AM in response to NorhernMist

I'm not sure why I even bothered to ask this question if I get simpleton answers like the ones from rominggnome and Mike Johnson12. Limos is the only one that answered the question with some form of intelligence.

Thanks for you input Limos - I understand that there is a difference in quality but I can't seem to justify the price difference which is sometimes up to 50% on many albums that I've seen, and movies on average are 30% more expensive. The format alone should not be the reason for the price difference, this should be advantageous to sell way more material than the competitors.

There are advantages and disadvanteges to streaming such as reducing storage space on your device; but actually you can download movies from Amazon and watch it offline using Amazon's free Video Player called Unbox, however it is not compatible with Mac or Linux and it is not transferable to iPod devices.

There is a difference between competitive pricing and gouging. I would also like Apple's perspective on this.

Jan 16, 2012 9:15 AM in response to NorhernMist

I would also like Apple's perspective on this.

You won't get it here. The people posting on this forum are just other Mac users like you. Apple representatives almost never post on these forums and probably won't even see yours.

Apple has come up with a successful business model with things as they are. If people feel they are gouging they probably wouldn't buy.

Jan 16, 2012 9:43 AM in response to NorhernMist

Yes Limnos has given you a great answer.

In your original post you gave no substance other than asking why there is a price difference.

The question was with out much substance - from which Limnos has provided a great deal of substance to the answer. That is something you could have asked in the original question and you would not have come off as being a simpleton.

Everything I noted in my original response is valid - but not what was likely desired - a question to your question.

If one asks a question with specifics and provides information so the question is not generalized as Chris CA has pointed out you will get good answers to your questions.

MJ

Jan 25, 2012 10:28 AM in response to zenteno

We're not "playing dumb".

Prices are different because prices are negotiated differently. Amazon also sells items at a loss, simply to get sales.

See

-> http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/02/01/us-amazon-shares-idUSTRE6104FD20100201

-> http://gizmodo.com/5465323/why-and-how-apple-killed-the-999-ebook

We simply asked for examples since NorthernMist seemd to be indicating that everything in iTunes was more expensive than Amazon.

Feb 12, 2012 10:00 PM in response to Chris CA

I can offer an example....

For instance the tv show The River is 1.99 and with a season pass 1.89 on Amazon while on iTunes it is 2.99. Quite a difference in my book if you plan to purchase a lot of shows via iTunes as I'm about to do. They don't need to overcharge customers to make money they are doing just fine and will continue to for years to come. I can only hope they start offering better deals.

This also happens with the show Walking Dead and American Horror Story

Feb 12, 2012 11:08 PM in response to CaleHonegger

You pay what you will. If you don't like the price then go shop some where else.

Again a lot of complainers blame Apple - they are a merchant and distribute the content. These prices are likely set by the content owners - remember - Apple does not own the content - they are distributing the content. Apple gets a certain amount for providing the service function of 'serving' the goods. What ever amount Apple is getting for the service they still have to pay for the operations cost etc,. There are lots of articles on the web about iTunes, iTunes pricing, and what speculated profit Apple makes. Only Apple knows what they are making.

MJ

Why is iTunes pricing so much more than Amazon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.