Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 on virgin, internet doesnt work..

i have recently made my sim a micro sim, and got a iphone 4.....the texts and calls work fine but the internet comes up saying 'could not activate cellular data network.,...please help!

iPhone 4

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 11:56 AM

17 replies

Jan 24, 2012 1:54 PM in response to sweeney95

ooooops.................😊

But doesn't change the advice get a simple contract on one of the 6 x Apple approved and you will benefit from

all the features of the iPhone

I use a simplicity monthly contract from O2 and rarely have any problems ( as iPhone is out of contract )

Or Tesco are approved and their users appear to be happy and it is competitive and all 6x will provide a microsim and port your number

Feb 5, 2012 8:39 AM in response to sweeney95

SOLVED: I found a workaround for this problem for a colleague recently at work. Virgin dont support iphone but you can still use their data plan if you can find a way to input Virgins network settings. The problem I faced was that when you choose settings>general>network on the iphone when you have a virgin SIM card installed, the required further option of 'cellular data network' is missing. If you swap the Virgin SIM for a supported one such as O2 (thats what I used), then the required option settings>general>network>cellular data network appears. If you choose this, another menu opens that you can edit and input the required settings to access Virgins data network. Once you have done this, swap your supported SIM back to the Virgin SIM (whilst still in the cellular data network screen), then when you go out of the screen, the option to choose it has disappeared but the settings for Virgin network have been remebered. The result wasn't instant and may have required the 3G radio to be turned off/on again or infact the phone to be turned off/on again but my colleague now has a working iphone 3GS using a data plan from Virgin.

The settings I was advised to enter came from a Virgin tech support who said to use settings similar to HTC wildfire, here they are

1. Select APN, enter goto.virginmobile.uk and tap OK.
  2. Select Proxy, enter 193.30.166.4 and tap OK.
  3. Select Port, enter 8080 and tap OK.
  4. Enter the user name and password listed below. If no value is listed, leave the field blank.
    • Username: user
    • Password: (leave blank)

I think I used most if not all these settings and it seamed to do the trick!

Would love to know ifthis works for you. Good luck!

May 17, 2012 2:50 PM in response to wegras

Why is it wrong to cut a sim. I bought a virgin sim only for my iPhone 4 following articles on the money saving expert website. Not sure what the negatives are to this so could you explain as you seem to have a strong view and it might be helpful to me to improve my knowledge. I didn't have to do anything to my settings and I've been fine. However I did the same for my nephew and I cannot get his to work to receive picture messaging. I can't get the Internet setting as someone else on here said as the iphone4 doesn't give you the path to input them. I find it so strange that it worked on my iPhone4 without me doing anything but won't work on my nephews. I'll try the venerablebede suggestion I think. Thnx vb. I do wonder if I cut a bit of the gold sim when I was trimming it to micro. The virgin tech guy told me today they will be getting micro simsS in June if anyone is interested. Also a mistake I've made is not realising picture messaging costs me 40p a go on the virgin sim only deal so I've reverted to sending them via what's app.

iphone 4 on virgin, internet doesnt work..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.