Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Emoji keyboard from Add New Keyboard?

I already remove the App ... but the keyboard still work and some symbol stay together .. they change into faces .. dose anyone know how to completely remove this keyboard??? remove it from Add New Keyboard...

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 3:17 PM

17 replies

Jan 26, 2012 12:25 PM in response to JoshYang

Why?

There is no way of deleting any of the keyboards included with iOS. All keyboards added together may take up a little space but I doubt if you will gain much useable space by deleting any of them. If they are only in the Add a Keyboard menu they are out of sight unless you add it to your list. If they are not in your list you can't use them.

Jan 26, 2012 10:01 PM in response to Stephen Spark

yea..I can't use that keyboard.. but it's in my Add New Keyboard list ... and it still work ... that's sick ... sometimes I put 501/ or something it turns into symbols ...and I can't remove it completely ...does anyone know if I reset the whole system and restore from iCloud ... will it come back? I mean the keyboard ... and Can I go to Genuise Bar to get any help ?

Jan 27, 2012 9:11 AM in response to JoshYang

I am having trouble understanding your issue. I have added the emoji keyboard to my list of keyboards and hd it there using it for sometime. Even before this typing the normal smiley short cuts never created any symbols on my iPhone. You have to specifically select the emoji keyboard from the Globe button added to the iOS keyboard and select an icon before you will get them on a message. What I would look at is what keyboard you do have selected and use, probably should be a US keyboard.

If you are seeing odd behavior from the keyboard try to reset the iPhone by holding the Home and Sleep buttons till the Apple icon appears. Next step if it is still not right is to Restore it using iTunes, Restore will erase media files but will restore any save in the library, make sure recent purchases are backed up. If it is still doing it take it to the Apple Store and let them know you already tried the above steps already.

As already stated, unless your iPhone is jailbroke and moded, you can not remove the keyboards, even the people at the Genius Bar can not remove them. If it is moded using a jailbreak which could cause something like this, Restore will erase any modes made.

Jan 29, 2012 10:27 AM in response to JoshYang

I think you are missing the point here. There is no known problem with the keyboard and it's functionality on the iPhone. You do not need to remove the keyboard to fix it. I have it installed and use it, it does not make symols appear when using other English keyboards. If you are seeing symbols entered unintentionally there is a problem with your iPhone's software. To see symbols you must add the Emoji keyboard to the keyboard list. Even then you must select this keyboard when typing a message and physically select the icon you want. It may be possible if you have a different keyboard selected, other than US English, that has some built in short cuts for symbol. The US English keyboard does not.

If you jailbroke and modified the iPhone's software in any way it may have messed up the keyboards functionality. I suppose any app you installed to enhance keyboard function may have effect it, but I don't believe Apple would allow it intentionally. Any chat app you use may come with it's own keyboard, changing the system keyboards will probably not fix them. Restore will fix any software issues the iPhone may have although if caused by an app it may come back when it is installed. Restore will erase media files which are not included in the iPhone backup files.

Discussing jailbreak procedures of iPhones here is prohibited and I do not recommend it to fix any issue. I only mention it since some people have problems with iPod/iPhones after they have jailbroke them but fail to mention it in their initial post. It gets futile trying to help someone with a very rare issue such as this and after many attempts to fix it you are told the iPhone is jailbroke which caused the problem.

Again the best fix here is to Restore it back to a clean iOS install using a back up. If it still does it Restore it as new and add apps till you see the problem appear.

How to remove Emoji keyboard from Add New Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.