Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV out no longer possible with os 5.0.1 on iPad 2

I have 2 iPads: the iPad 2 with version 4.3.5 is working fine, with the AV cable connector on it mirrors the iPad 2 perfectly. The TV out settings are displayed under Video.

However with my other iPad 2, version 5.0.1, the latest, it's now impossible to use the mirroring feature, the same AV cable, connected to the same TV or monitor is not even detected by the iPad. The TV out settings are no longer in the Video settings (now replaced by the Home Sharing Id, you really wonder why...). I need the mirroring function back as I'm using my iPad for work to do presentations and the external monitors, TV or projectors won't detect it at all..and of course the expensive AV cable is now useless..

I've tried looking for the TV out settings under the General Settings as recommended by other people on the forum but they don't appear even when the AV cable adapter is connected.

I really hope it's a bug and that Apple is going to fix it ASAP! Does somebody get the same issue or can I help? Thanks!

iPad, Other OS

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:03 PM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2012 2:17 PM in response to iCrizzo

Hello! Thank you very much for your quick reply but unfortunately it didn't work...I can't see the icon you're mentioning. Also, something strange happens when the AV adapter is connected to the iPad: when I play a video, the video will play but without sound...When I follow your instructions for example the volume bar in the dock is not even activated...

So, no mirroring, and no sound...strange..

It worked perfectly on the same iPad before os 5.0.1...

May 10, 2012 7:14 AM in response to misterpage

Hi. Sorry if I sound pedantic, misterpage, but when you say "AV cable" do you mean the old video/L/R (Yellow/White/Red) which techies tend to refer as the composite cable? Just I'm trying to find info on the issue and keep getting HDMI which is irrelevant to my problem.

I recently got an iPad 3... which is pretty much a spritzed up iPad2 with iOS 5.1 (which I just updated to 5.1.1 with no affect on the issue at hand) and got an aftermarket AV/HDMI/USB adapter and found the video wasn't coming out of the AV port though the sound was. The sound on the iPad was muted so long as the adapter was in with the AV cable attached which suggests that it has been detected by the iPad similar to what you describe. Would you say this to be similar to what you're experiencing?

May 14, 2012 2:27 AM in response to rei-gouki

I am having a similar issue, I have a brand new iPad 3 with the stock 5.1 iOS. The composite cables that I have give a message when I connect to the iPad, it says this device is not supported but I've read in other forums to disregard that message. The video plays on the iPad with no sound but nothing is transferred over to the tv. I have an iPhone 4 with the same apps on ios 5 that plays everything over the cable so it's not the cable. Has anyone resolved this issue?

TV out no longer possible with os 5.0.1 on iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.