Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4s shuts off with high battery

Okay if you can figure out the problem you are a genius.

So my first iPhone 4s started shutting off around 5%(which is normal I hear) but it kept getting higher each time and got to 45% then shut off. Well I got it replaced and the new one worked fine for a week and then one day I had to get a little charge because I had to leave so I put it on the charge at 32% and took it off around 86%. Well it started shutting off at 13% then I did a factory reset and it fixed it for about 4 days and now it shuts off at 27%

I've tried all the resets, tried different cords, and anything possible. The only time I got it to 1% is when I went on a trip I forgot my charger and it shut off at the 24% then sat off for about 8 hours after till I got it to a charger. So I expect a phone to go from 100% to 1%.

I can give the log if wanted

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:02 AM

67 replies

Feb 5, 2012 12:25 PM in response to xwaffleman

Same problem here. After four days my first 4s began shutting off at 35%. The next day it began shutting off at 41%. I took the phone into Verizon, they didn't have a clue and told me to perform a reset…the problem persisted so they sent me a new one. Everything was working perfect until about day three, the new phone started shutting down at 14%. The next day 18%. The day after 21%. I called apple support (great people) but they had no clue. They kept telling me to do a factory restore and it would work fine. I did…and now the phone shuts down at 28%. Back to Verizon I went and I am currently waiting on my third iPhone 4s within three weeks! This is my first and only experience with Apple products and to say I have a sour taste in my mouth from the experience would be a huge understatement!

Feb 5, 2012 1:31 PM in response to Willlie21

Exact problem man, dead on, I've been on the phone with senior advisors at apple for like the past week. I've tried downloading new restore software, and they even sent me a new charger. So I'm guesisng I'm going to get it replaced again sadly.
The only way I could get it to die down is if it shut off at the % like 30-40 or whatever. Then let it sit off for hours afterwards, but the problem will come back in a day or so. It always does haha.
Mine is just getting worst with every restore I do. Let me know if the new phone works.

Feb 5, 2012 1:55 PM in response to xwaffleman

Sorry to hear your problem hasn't been resolved yet. Both phones of mine right out of the box had about a 70% charge on them. I never let them run down to zero before charging them…don't know if this had some sort of effect on the battery calibration. That being said, I asked the rep at Verizon when I bought the phone if I should run it down to zero before charging it and he just smirked and in a slightly condescending tone said "batteries have come a long way since those days just charge it when you need." Well low and behold it says on Apples web site that to keep your battery properly calibrated you should charge it to 100% and let it run to zero once per month. Don't know if this is the cause of my battery issues or not, but after two iPhones within three weeks…I expected more from such a highly rated device!

Feb 8, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Willlie21

Update: I'm still sending them files and etc to see what the problem is, but I got the new charger they sent me thursday, well I ran the battery till it shut off(40%) then left it off for like 8hours. Well that made it drop to 0% then I used the new charger and it hasn't crashed on me since.
Try asking for a new charger and ONLY use the iphone4s charger they give you.

Feb 8, 2012 11:40 AM in response to xwaffleman

Glad to hear that's working for you. I just received my third iPhone 4s yesterday. I let it go all the way to zero and shut off on its own and then charged it to 100%. Currently at 44% as I type this message, so fingers crossed! If it messes up again, I will definitely ask for a new charger. Although this is the only Apple product I have and have only ever charged it with the original chord sent with my first iPhone 4s. Have you been using a different type of charger?

Feb 14, 2012 9:35 AM in response to xwaffleman

Ok, so I'm on my third iPhone 4s with the same crap happening. How is the new charger working with you? I guess I'm a little confused about the charger, because I still use the new charger that was sent with my orginal IPhone 4s, so it is a 4s charger. I don't see how them sending a new 4s charger will change anything, but I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Feb 14, 2012 1:37 PM in response to Willlie21

sorry to say my good sir, my phone started shutting off again, but the senior advisor said he had some stuff that the engineers said I should try I'll give you an update soon.

but I figured out something and you might notice it, when it shuts down at that percentage for say.. my got up to 40% right? well it would stay at 100% for about 4-5 hours till it started to drop (which would be about 40% usage.) I'm not sure but I'm putting my finger on maybe the new OS is causing battery reading issues because I've had 2 phones and done over 10 factory resets.

IPhone 4s shuts off with high battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.