Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat to iPad chats

I have iChat on my MacBook; my wife uses an iPad. Is there a chat client for the iPad that will let us type messages to each other??

iBook G4, MacMini, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 5:27 PM

1 reply

Feb 2, 2012 11:35 AM in response to carlsfrog

Hi,

IF (it is a big if) you are in the United States and she has a Phone SIM card for the iPad AND that Sim is connected to a service that has the AIM SMS forwarding then iChat can SMS to that Number and it will show up in iMessage on the iPad.

To be clear.

iChat can SMS but it has to be on a machine that "Thinks" it is in the United States and contacting an United States Phone Number that also happens to be on a Service that get AIM SMS/Text forwarding.

Your computer is set to the United States in the System Preferences > International (Snow Leopard and earlier) or Text and Language in Lion.

(Although the computer can actually be somewhere else (but set as If in the United States) the "Phone" has to be in the United States).

User uploaded file
7:35 PM Thursday; February 2, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat to iPad chats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.