Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will it be cheaper to cancel plan after buying iPhone 4s?

If I buy iPhone 4s with AT&T contract (16gb) it will cost around $200. Unlocked iPhone 4s costs around $700. AT&T told me that canceling plan will cost $200. The question is what will happen if I buy iPhone 4s with plan and will cancel it immediately? It will be still something around $400-$500, but not $700. Will this work?

I'm pretty sure this will not work as I excpect, but I'm not sure why.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 2:16 AM

5 replies

Feb 4, 2012 2:54 AM in response to rover233

What's the point of doing that? Your phone will still be locked to AT&T, with NO WAY to get it officially unlocked. Thus, if you purchase an AT&T subsided phone, cancel your contract, you'll have a very expensive iPod touch, that cannot be officially unlocked to use on any other carrier's network. Seems like a huge waste of money to me.

Feb 4, 2012 3:40 AM in response to wjosten

I mean, there are ways to unlock it. I should have mention that. Yes, they are not official, it will costs another $30. But still, that will be cheaper than paying full price for new iphone.

My question was about if thats exactly as it is - you pay $200, than cancel for another $200 and that's it - or AT&T will make you pay the rest $500 for your iphone addtionally to the $200 cancellation fee? Or something else?

Feb 4, 2012 5:23 AM in response to wjosten

Plus AT&T will charge you setup fee ($18 or $36 depending on

circumstances) + at least 2 months wireless and data plan

charges + taxes and government fees (about 10% in my area),

all of which will add another $100 or more to your costs. If you cancel

within 30 days, AT&T will make you return the iPhone or pay full

retail price for it. And iPhone warranty is not international, so if you

take it out of the USand need repair/replacement, you will have to

send it to someone in the US for them to take to Apple for repair and

then that person will have to ship back to you. Apple will not accept

iPhones sent in from overseas for repairs nor will Apple ship ourside

of US after repair/replacement is made. Buy from local approved source

and save yourself a great deal of trouble.

Feb 4, 2012 5:54 AM in response to rover233

rover233 wrote:

I mean, there are ways to unlock it. I should have mention that. Yes, they are not official, it will costs another $30. But still, that will be cheaper than paying full price for new iphone.

My question was about if thats exactly as it is - you pay $200, than cancel for another $200 and that's it - or AT&T will make you pay the rest $500 for your iphone addtionally to the $200 cancellation fee? Or something else?

It also can't be discussed here.

If you go that route, you will have no warranty and you will forfeit your right to support here or from Apple. What's the point? You're just as well off to buy a phone off e-bay if you're going to do that.

Will it be cheaper to cancel plan after buying iPhone 4s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.