Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloaded iOS Dev videos but some are not shown as downloaded in iTunes U collection

This is a 2 day old Mac Mini so maybe something is not set correctly.

I chose to download the iTunes U collection of iOS Development videos.

12 videos downloaded OK and I have been watching, the others downloaded but are not shown as downloaded (the 'Get' is still shown).

An example is the Effective iPhone App Development - Part 1

I have downloaded this now 3 times and logged out and back in, closed all applications and opened them again with no effect.

There was a comment in one Apple forum that suggested video restrictions may be preventing some downloaded videos from being displayed.

As far as I can see there are no restrictions set.

Must admit to being a bit stuck on this one.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 5:38 AM

15 replies

Feb 28, 2012 12:18 PM in response to DesertSand

I had the same problem. This seems like a bug.

I discovered a workaround for this problem:

• Open your "iTunes Media" folder (usually at /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media).
  • Inside "iTunes Media" should be a folder called "Downloads". Open it.
  • Now switch over to your iTunes application and start downloading the video.
  • Now switch back to the iTunes Media "Downloads" folder. A folder named "iTunes U" should appear. Open it. Now open the next folder which should be called "Effective iPhone App Development - Part 1 _ iOS Development Videos.tmp". Inside this temp folder you should see a file called "download.m4v" which we will deal with later.
  • IMPORTANT. While the video is still downloading, drag and drop any file (like a random text file) from a different location into that temp folder. If you don't drag and drop a file into the temp folder, iTunes will automatically delete the "download.m4v" video file right after it finishes downloading.
  • After the iTunes application is finished downloading, you can drag the "download.m4v" file out of the temp folder and onto the desktop or a different folder of your choosing. This file can now be viewed with Quicktime or any other video player.
  • Hope this helps!

Feb 28, 2012 1:28 PM in response to DarkFractal

Sorry, but disregard my last reply. For some reason, I could only get this to work with one of the videos. I tried the same process on some of the other files but it would not work again.

Does anyone know how to contact Apple about developer videos that will not download in iTunes? Specifically the videos at "Developer on iTunes > iOS Development Resources > Essential Videos.

Mar 5, 2012 5:22 AM in response to abfield

Running iTunes in 32-bit mode worked for me. I don't know why it worked but it seems like the only way to download some of the videos from this particular playlist. There must be an issue with the video encoding on some of the older developer videos from 2009.

If you want to run in 32-bit mode:

• Quit iTunes.
  • Open your applications folder and control-click or right-click on the iTunes icon.
  • Select "Get Info".
  • Click the checkbox next to "Open in 32-bit mode".
  • Open iTunes again and you should be able to download these videos.

downloaded iOS Dev videos but some are not shown as downloaded in iTunes U collection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.