Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my videos and texts stored after a sync?

I tried updating my iPhone 4, but it froze and now I'm told I have to "Restore" which will cause me to lose all my media. Where are my texts and videos stored on my Mac, if they are backed up from my last sync? My videos do not appear in my iPhoto. Thanks.

iPhone 4

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:59 PM

7 replies

Feb 12, 2012 10:33 PM in response to modular747

Modular, thanks for answering! Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I find that? I tried it in Launch Bar, but to no avail. Are you saying that CAMERA ROLL videos, ie videos I took of my baby son's two year development etc, can be found in database format? Will they be transferrable back to the iPhone after I "restore" it?

And will my texts go back on my phone, intact, as well?

I never should have updated! Argh. Thanks!!!

Feb 12, 2012 10:39 PM in response to guitarmomma

When you restore the phone (restore the iOS) at the end you are given the option for restoring the backup.

You also can restore the backup without restoring the iOS:

1. Disable automatic syncing on connection in iTunes Prefs > Devices > Disable....

2. Start iTunes and connect phone.

3. Right-click the device tab on the left border of the iTunes window, and select "Restore from Backup."

Feb 12, 2012 10:48 PM in response to modular747

OK, You are WONDERFUL! I think you are getting my question, but you have lost me (you sound very computer literate and I am just a bluegrass guitar player).

1. I was just syncing my phone--like always.

2. iTunes asked if I would like to update to the newest version of software

3. I didn't think too much about it, and said yes.

4. Next thing I know, my iPhone is locked with a picture of an arrow to iTunes, and my only option seems to be to "Restore" my phone to its factory settings. When I click "Restore," this message comes up:

"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “iPhone” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed.

iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings."

In my dream world, I would be able to skip the upgrade and just go back. But apparently that's not possible? My original question that you answered (about videos and texts) was because I wanted to be SURE that those things are actually backed up and recoverable before I "Restore" the phone.

Am I making sense? I have no idea what I'm doing, but I can't lose the videos of my newborn son!

THANK YOU so much.

If you feel like you answered my question above already, I guess I just need a "Dummies" version of what you are saying.

Feb 12, 2012 11:01 PM in response to guitarmomma

Yes, you make perfect sense and your question is perfectly reasonable considering the wording of that "warning." However, you exceeded the permissible question limit and now must be "rendered" to an Apple re-education camp in an undisclosed South-East Asia location...

Don't worry about the warning. The Restore function does delete all your data, but it get replaced by restoring the backup as I described, as well as re-syncing iTunes and othere data back to the phone from your computer.

Feb 12, 2012 11:17 PM in response to guitarmomma

Modular? You still there?

How do I look at this location you sent me? I tried it in a search in "Finder", but nothing came up.

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

It looks like all my photos and contacts got backed up, but I don't see new voice memos, for example, and I am still worried that my texts and videos did not get synced. Can I see this somewhere?

And I don't understand what you said above--I disabled the automatic syncing like you said, but what good will that do?

I'm still too scared to Restore, as I don't want to erase the contents of the phone (especially if they are not backed up)

Thanks in advance.

Where are my videos and texts stored after a sync?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.