Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone not ringing just vibrating

Ok, so my iPhone 4 is not ringing aloud when I receive texts or calls..even having the ring/silent control in the correct position for it to ring, and the ringer setting is turned up all the way. My keypad does not make sound either (not a huge issue). BUT my phone will play the ringtone/text-tone/music from the ipod also.. Any suggestions???

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 9:08 PM

look at the side of the device, where you see the silent switch and the volume up and down controls. look at the flip switch- you should not see orange/red color. if you do, flip it to not see color

25 replies

Jul 8, 2012 10:28 PM in response to Katie_Bug_88

You solved my problem! THANK You! I have an otter box on my phone, so I never thought to take it off and look at the phone. I went to the Apple store, and they told me it was a software problem, so I had to get everything backed up on my pc and do a restore. After much frustration and doing a total erase and restore with I-tunes and I-cloud....and downloading Microsoft Outlook (since I didn't have it to back-up my contacts with Icloud)....I still didn't have an answer. I can't believe this was so simple.

Feb 5, 2013 10:37 PM in response to The Rode

Update to IOS 6 seems to have switched the mute key and volume ringers off completely

go to. this worked for my Iphone 4

Settings

General

Accesability

Assistive touch switch on.

my iphone on the side is showing mute not on, using the assistive touch ( the white button that appears on your home screen, go to device and swithc the mute key to the opposite. on my phone mute on (bell with cross through it, opposite to phone), my phone now rings.

Jul 19, 2013 3:24 AM in response to 17beachside71

OMG I have not had sounds since 1/26/2013. I read that it was stuck in a "dock mode" likley from getting damp that day in January (I was on a boat for 12 hrs) I blew on it, sucked on the headphone hole, cleaned it with alcolhol and a qtip, the list goes on and on. All I had was vibrate so I became one of those people that obsessively looks at their phones every 2 mins making sure I didn't miss a call or text. Well, 6 months later and 17beachside71 helped fix my phone!! It was like hearing for the first time! I had forgotten all the little sounds my phone made! Thank you Beachside the assistive touch setting works! I can't believe it.

iphone not ringing just vibrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.