Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I set-up Hughes Net email account in the Apple Mail Application?

I have tried numerous times to set up my Hughes Net email account in the Apple mail application without success. It stands to reason that there is something that isn't just right, but WHAT IS IT? I've tried various small changes hoping to hit that which is right. Any suggestions? I get it by web mail which is less than desirable after having MobileMe. Only get my .mac mail by web mail since my paid account expired this month.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 7:53 PM

13 replies

Mar 1, 2012 8:37 PM in response to lizharb

Is Hughes your internet service provider? Did they give you instructions about the settings you need to enter You do have an email account set up, right? As soon as you enter your email address and password, Mail should be trying to connect to their server automatically. If not, you can enter the proper pop (or IMAP) and smtp server addresses along with the required port numbers.

Mar 1, 2012 9:08 PM in response to babowa

Hughes is my internet provider and I have Hughes web mail. I cannot get Hughes set up in the Apple Mail application. Nothing I've done and redone has been right. In trying to send a message I either get a pop-up asking if I want to try a different outgoing smtp or I'm asked to resubmit my password saying my password has not been accepted.

In another discussion, some Hughes Net users posted that toggling password in authentification solved their problem. It didn't for me. The only thing I know of I haven't entered is IMAP instead if POP which Hughes said to use.

Mar 1, 2012 9:47 PM in response to babowa

I can't say that they, exactly, gave me the correct info when I called Hughes for help. The person I spoke with said they could only advise on setting up their email. I think I asked to speak with a supervisor and someone must have looked up Apple mail preferences. I used everything they said to use.

Other Apple Support Communities discussions have given what various individuals finally found they needed to do. So far nothing I've done has been right. I want to have Hughes available in June when I no longer have my .mac account.

Mar 1, 2012 10:06 PM in response to lizharb

Well, without knowing what settings they require, it's difficult to help. Here are screenshots of my account (personal info blacked out)

User uploaded file

You need to get your email address and user name from them plus the password you've chosen with them as well as their incoming mail server name (for me: pop.centurylink.net)

If you then click on the Outgoing server and choose "edit server", you get this:

User uploaded file

You need their outgoing server name (for me: smtp.centurylink.net)

If you then click on Advanced, you get this:

User uploaded file

You need the following info for this (for the outgoing server): the port(s) number(s), whether or not to use SSL and whether password is needed or not.

Unless someone here has Hughesnet and can share the info needed, you do need to get it from them - just ask for the info, no need to mention that you have a Mac. As long as you tell them exactly what info you need, you should then be able to enter it using above pics as reference.

Mar 1, 2012 10:13 PM in response to lizharb

SO what setting infromation did your ISP give you?

is it imap, pop or exchange?

Have you consideres using a free provider like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, or mobileme? the reason I ask is in the future you might want to change your ISP. At that time, if your using Hughes email, you'll ether have to keep paying them or loose your email address. I've been online for maybe 21+ years, in that time i've changed ISP over 8 times; the only account that has been consitent in that time is my yahoo and hotmail email accounts.

Mar 3, 2012 10:44 AM in response to TeenTitan

Thank you, TeenTitan. My brother asked me the same question stating yahoo was his provider of choice even with AT+T as his ISP. I had yahoo before going to .mac and was satisfied with it.

However, after spending over an hour with Hughes today, I, now, have it configured correctly so that I have hughes.net in the mail application. The tech was grateful that he was called upon to do this because he had never been asked to before. He thinks he will be able to assist someone else after today.

Mar 3, 2012 10:54 AM in response to babowa

I had already determined my next step was to call Hughes Net again. After spending over an hour on the phone today, I, now, have hughes net configured correctly in MAIL.

The tech was grateful that he was called upon to help someone configure Hughes Net in Mail since he hadn't been before. Along with it being his birthday, after today, he should be able to help someone else.

Mar 3, 2012 1:00 PM in response to lizharb

The screenshots are the images I used in one of my posts above (on March 1) to show what the Account setup windows in Mail look like.

Now if you want to do a screenshot = take a picture of whatever you are looking at on your computer screen - simply hold down these keys: Command and Shift and (number) 4. You'll notice that your cursor now looks different > clicking the mouse while dragging it around will result in a "camera shot" of whatever you just dragged it on. That is how I posted those pics (screenshots) in my post.

How Do I set-up Hughes Net email account in the Apple Mail Application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.