Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iphone 4s use cellular data when making a phone call?

I having been having problem with my ATT 4s ever since I got it.

From day 1, I have wifi enabled and I reset my cellular network data so they both read 0KB.

I make a phone call which should not be using data, at least it never did on my old 3gs. I go back to my cellular usuage after a 1 minute phone call and it shows 10kb sent, 23KB received??

Even if i dont make a phone call my cellular data goes up. I left the statistics screen and opened the notepad and typed a few letters. I go back to check cellular data and it went up another 10k.

Why is this? I took to "genius" bar and they told me to get a new sim, which I did and problem persists. Went back to apple store got firmware updated, issue still persisted. They replaced the phone and the issue still persists. I have turned off Icloud, location services etc. Everything short of turning off cellular data.

I just did another reset of the phone, no apps installed, did not restore from backup, and I am not using Icloud. Issue still persists..

And of course I can turn off 3g cellular data and the problem goes away but then what is the point of a smartphone???

HELP!!

Anyone ever have this problem or can duplicate it?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 3:49 PM

20 replies

Mar 2, 2012 4:12 PM in response to masAndrew

If you have a data limit which apparently you have and are concerned about, the ability the turn Cellular Data off is an important option and doesn't change the point of a smartphone.

Have you contacted AT&T technical support regarding this to determine what AT&T may have to do with this?

If no apps are installed, you did not restore from the backup, not using iCloud, not using iMessage, not exchanging MMS, not sure what this would be besides something by AT&T.

When your iPhone is connected to an available wi-fi network, unless your iPhone remains connected to a power source the wi-fi connection will be dropped when the iPhone is locked and not being used.

Mar 2, 2012 4:44 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Yes i do have a data limit. But my main issue is why do I have to turn off 3g to preserve data from being used? I am not actively using any app, location services, icloud etc.. I dont understand what is being transmitted. I dont see how this could be an ATT thing though what makes you think it is? It seems like the phone is using data when it shouldnt be and I have basically everything turned off.

I understand if the phone is locked and was on wifi that it will lose its wifi connection and use cellular data, but what is being transmitted when the phone is locked, especially if everything is shut off.

Mar 2, 2012 4:50 PM in response to masAndrew

How could it be an iPhone thing if no apps are installed, you did not restore from the backup, not using iCloud, not using iMessage, and not exchanging MMS?

Sounds like you have tried everything besides call AT&T, so you might was well rule AT&T in or out since you claim nothing whatsoever is being used that could use cellular data.

I understand if the phone is locked and was on wifi that it will lose its wifi connection and use cellular data but what is being transmitted when the phone is locked, especially if everything is shut off.

You are not accessing any email accounts with the Mail app, never exchange iMessage or MMS, never access the Maps app, never launch Safari or any app that requires internet access?

Mar 2, 2012 5:06 PM in response to masAndrew

I will contact AT&T but doesnt the phone control and count how data is being used and then sent to AT&T for reporting?

No way. The data counter on the iPhone is not 100% accurate - what your carrier counts determines your usage which is not based on what the iPhone counts and the same with any cell phone.

Could it be the SIM, even though I have gotten it replaced?

No.

Mar 5, 2012 12:02 PM in response to masAndrew

Wrong.

If you are syncing notes over the air Einstein, a small amount of data will be used when opening notes - checking if any new notes are available at the server to download. This is by design and intention - hence syncing over the air and only an issue for the brain dead.

If this is what you believe, get rid of it so you can take your clueless habitual whining elsewhere.

Mar 5, 2012 12:39 PM in response to masAndrew

Surely if you have it connected to WiFi it should route your data through that. I wonder if it just doesn't differentiate between data sent through WiFi and over the air. In that case just keep a track of your data usage through your AT&T account and see if it mirrors your iPhone data report.

Keep us posted because I think that the same issue is happening to mine and thus always going over my data allowance with Vodafone in the UK. I know O2 played this underhand trick when WiFi was first available to phones, even though handsets were connected to WiFi they were charging for data usage

Mar 5, 2012 12:42 PM in response to masAndrew

I second the question posed by Rysz....if you have ANYTHING set up at all (a mail account, etc) it will communicate with it's server..whether polling for new mail, syncing notes, etc.

Also, the 4S is designed to be PC Free, so check your General settings tab to make sure it's not checking for Software Updates. Also, are you backing up to iCloud? This will automatically do things in the background. Check the iCloud settings page.

And to ensure no apps are running, double click your home button. When the screen raises up it will show icons of any running apps. Hold your finger on one of them, and they will start to dance with X's on the corners. Tapping the X's closes the app. Close them all, then hold your home button and power button at the same time. Slide to power off, leave it off for a minute, then power back on. This will ensure no apps are running in the background.

Mar 5, 2012 12:50 PM in response to MacMedic Dj

macmedic/norman-

when i got my replacement from apple I did not restore from Icloud. In fact I set it up as new phone and I am not using Icloud at all. I download zero applications, did not set up email, turned off location service, turned off send diagnostic information to att etc. I have zero applications running, i am also on wifi, but still no app usage.

I reset my data usage to zero, receive a phone call for 5 minutes, go back to check stats shows 2.5 mb of data consumed. I have validated this with ATT that 2.5 mb of data was used. If I open notepad or even browse to view the timer or even open the settings button my data usage goes up. Once again validated with ATT that my records match theirs.

Why does my iphone 4s use cellular data when making a phone call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.