Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Friend left iPhone for Android. My iPhone insists on sending iMessage instead of text. Help

So my friend that I text with occassionaly has left Apple for Android (i know right?). Anyway, we had a nice little iMessage session going but now that she has continued texting me from her android, my iPhone insists on replying via iMessage and will not switch to text. I've deleted the thread, deleted her as a contact, restarted my phone, typed in just her number for the text, but alas, it still tries to send it as an iMessage.

solution? Anyone? Thanks 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 2:08 PM

5 replies

Mar 6, 2012 2:50 PM in response to droppolo

It doesn't affect what she sends you. What happens is that when you reply, iMessage checks Apple's servers and finds a device active with her phone number, so it tries to send it as an iMessage. iMessage is tied to the phone number as well as an e-mail address.

Tell her to try this:

1. Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
  2. Log in if not already logged in.
  3. Click on "edit products"
  4. Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
  5. Click "unregister"

Friend left iPhone for Android. My iPhone insists on sending iMessage instead of text. Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.