Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard lockout shortcut

Is there a shortcut that disables the integrated keyboard?

This happens every so often while im working in Photoshop or InDesign, dragging dropping and painting. In the midist of all this i hit some shortcut that disables they keyboard, not the shortcuts, but the input of the keyboard while typing. I'll drag a textbox and start to type a scentence, nothing happens. Until i restart the computer the keyboard dosent respond. I dont know what i hit to do so but it just gets annoying and throws off a productive groove.

can anyone help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 3:10 PM

9 replies

Mar 10, 2012 4:26 PM in response to TRALGA

Are you dealing with 2 differnet documents, like word, and some other app like mail that has something you are working on? (for examlpe). Ifyou are working in 1 app then cursor over and try to type, you usually have to click that app to let the computer know that is now the active app, sort of wake it up, or put it activly on line so to speak.

Mar 10, 2012 5:51 PM in response to TRALGA

TRALGA wrote:

Is there a shortcut that disables the integrated keyboard?

No.

This happens every so often while im working in Photoshop or InDesign

Does it also happen in non-Adobe CS apps?

Until i restart the computer the keyboard dosent respond.

Check System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad. What are the Mouse Key settings?

Mar 12, 2012 5:10 PM in response to TRALGA

You're very welcome.

It doesn't actually disable the whole keyboard, only some keys, allowing other keys to be used to control the pointer/cursor, as explained here

<http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1297>

It's designed for people with mechanical disabilities, who have trouble controlling a mouse, or using mouse and keyboard at the same time. However, it can also be very useful for fine detail work in Photoshop, because it allows for precise, incremental moves of the pointer, which is trickier to do with the mouse or trackpad.

Keyboard lockout shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.