Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 overheats after upgrading to ios 5.1

I have an iphone 4 and made un upgrade to ios 5.1 yesterday, and so far that was a big mistake. My phone started to overheat terribly - when I am using or charging it, and also the battery drains way too fast and it takes ages to charge it. I have tried restoring and hard reset, but nothing changes. I have searched the forum, but most people are having problems with battery drain, not the overheating.. I don't know what could be the cause of that and what do I do to get my normal phone back! Please help

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 5:21 AM

13 replies

Mar 22, 2012 3:55 PM in response to Tanya Z

My son had the same problem with his iPhone after the 5.1 update. He was going to bring his iPhone back to the Apple Store so he decided to sink his iPhone to his computer so he would not lose any of the information. After he did this, he recharged his phone again and has not had the overheating or battery problem since. It worked for him, I would give it a try.

May 27, 2012 8:00 AM in response to Tanya Z

And now me too.

I updated to IOS 5.1 today.

Under normal conditions, with the phone under no load, or stress, and away from sunlight indoors, my iPhone 4 is giving the "Temperature" warning. It has NEVER done this before, its been completely issue free.

IOS 5.1 is CLEARLY to blame Apple...... Good to see a response from the company that have done this to our phones lol.

Want some answers and a solution please Apple!

PS: The phone had actually gotten so hot I couldn't touch it at all, as it burnt my fingers. This happened in my house with windows open, plenty of breeze blowing through the room...... It has NEVER done anything like this before, until 5.1 was installed. Within 25 minutes of the update this happened....

May 27, 2012 10:36 AM in response to Tanya Z

Well guys!! I resolved my problem I restored my

iPhone and I left it as a new devise I did no do any back up

I sync Avery app and music as u do when the device is brand new!!

And it worked, now my iPhone is not overheating and the battery last

Longer, but don't forget to turn the time zone off on the location service

That helps too, to make the battery last longer

I hope my post helps you gays!!!

Jun 17, 2012 9:50 PM in response to Tanya Z

My iPhone 4 has also been having this problem. I was on a Google+ video chat about a week ago, and got this frightening Temperature warning and had to shut down the phone completely it was so hot. Periodically I simply need to reboot the phone because it is hot to the touch. Is there any update on when a fix might be available, or could this possibly be a hardware problem with my phone (bad heat sinks or something)?

Thx!

- polly

Jun 18, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Tanya Z

Guys, this happened suddenly to me after doing absolutely nothing to my phone. no new apps, no updates, nothing. Then I remembered i had tried to email a video, This after i checked the logs and saw that the MobileMail app kept crashing. I went to check, the mail was stuck there, apparently it created a loop of trying to send and crashing because of size or whatever. I deleted the outbox and the phone went back to normal. Check that out, Te reason restoring doesn't solve this is because it basically sabes the state your phone is in, so there could be something clogging your phone's inner tubes.

iphone 4 overheats after upgrading to ios 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.