Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove ipad sim card for resale?

I have a first gen iPad 3G which I am selling. Is there any reason I need to remove the sim card? I have read that you don't have to and nothing is stored on the sim card to worry about- if you used the prepay plan. I would assume the vendor I am selling to (through amazon trade in) is expecting the sim card.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 10:37 AM

All the sim card does is identify the machine. Phones have the ability to do a few more things, like storing some contact info on them, but not too much at all; I can't think of any way to do that with the iPad so it's just your ID card, the thing that tells the network who you are and which account to use.

If you leave your data plan in place then whoever gets the machine will get a free gift of your plan minutes. Close it ( the account) down before you sell it and you should be fine, and see your plan details for any ways to roll over unused time to a new account. I haven't tried doing that yet but there should be some way to do it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2012 10:37 AM in response to donny

All the sim card does is identify the machine. Phones have the ability to do a few more things, like storing some contact info on them, but not too much at all; I can't think of any way to do that with the iPad so it's just your ID card, the thing that tells the network who you are and which account to use.

If you leave your data plan in place then whoever gets the machine will get a free gift of your plan minutes. Close it ( the account) down before you sell it and you should be fine, and see your plan details for any ways to roll over unused time to a new account. I haven't tried doing that yet but there should be some way to do it.

Mar 12, 2012 11:22 AM in response to donny

Do pull the card, and in fact, goto cell service on the pad and cancel the plan. If you have a vz model, please cancel the plan, even if it has been idle. We see reports here of machines that cannot get activated by the new owner bacaue the cell service is somehow still tied to the never canceled prior owner.

Mar 12, 2012 11:46 AM in response to pjl123

Mine is ATT and the original iPad. I think ATT has already canceled my plan after inactivity. My main concern is that anything personal would be stored on the sim card (credit card number, etc.) and from what I am reading it is not. I think the company buying it expects the SIM card, so they can deal with getting a new one as long as none of the above is stored on it.

remove ipad sim card for resale?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.