Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guaranteed fix to iPad/iPhone 'Other' storage - no restore required

Hi all,

I have been struggling with this problem so when I discovered this fix I just had to share it with all fellow sufferers:

On Settings, go to General'then 'Reset' (right at the bottom)

Then click 'Reset Network Settings'

BE CAREFUL! Make sure it is only this - network, people NETWORK settings!!

Confirm 'reset' on the dialog box and your iPad/iPhone will shut down and restart. Once you restart - problem solved!

Only bugger is the restarting part but it lasts maximum 10 seconds - and it sure as heck beats constantly restoring and personalising all over again!

iPad 2, Foolproof way to reclaim storage

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 1:02 AM

14 replies

Mar 20, 2012 12:11 AM in response to spirit_of_fire

OK if it helps anyone any, I did this ' trick' (trick only for me, it seems) while my iPad was connected to the PC. I could see the yellow ' Other' reduce instantly

have not yet tried it when not connected...

Also try the usual - clear Safari's cache, and also periodically clear the Mail app as it takes up a lot of space with attachments etc

And for some reason, the iDevice must be restarted for the reduction in 'Other' to be seen

Feb 18, 2013 5:11 PM in response to spirit_of_fire

OK, once more, try pretty much in this order

1. Delete and reinstall your mail settings

2. Clear safari cache and history

3. Delete and reinstall facebook, flipboard any of those news things if you have it

4. Try PhoneClean http://www.imobie.com/product/phoneclean-setup.exe (essentially does 1 & 2, but claims to be able to remove sync-failed media files

5. On iTunes, on the summary page,

UNTICK the first

- 'Open iTunes when this iDevice is connected'

make sure the following are TICKED:

- 'Sync only ticked songs and videos'

- 'Convert higher bit-rate songs'

and SYNC

(can always revert settings when the 'Other' has cleaned up)

6. Do my original post -

On Settings, go to Genera l'then 'Reset' (right at the bottom)

Then click 'Reset Network Settings'

This sequence of attempts is avoiding the rest and erase and restore, which is always a good thing, and I really do guarantee you will lose at least SOME if not a GREAT MAJORITY of your 'Other' space

Try all before any complaints please, then if tried-and-failed, then I will accept your complaints 🙂

Happy cleaning!

Guaranteed fix to iPad/iPhone 'Other' storage - no restore required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.