Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4S is not charging when plugged into clock radio. What's wrong?

So about a week ago, I docked my iPhone 4S into my Sony ICF-C7iP clock radio as I do every evening before going to bed. I bought this clock radio back in August and have had no problems with it at all. However this time, I noticed my phone was not charging. It didn't make the charging beep nor did it show on the display that it was charging. I tried removing it & re-seating it...nothing. I tried rebooting my phone which resulted in the same problem. When I plug my iPhone into either a standard sync cable or an iPhone dock, it charges/syncs as normal.

Suspecting the problem was with the alarm clock, I contacted Sony support. The clueless support rep on the other line suggested I return the clock in exchange for a refurbished one. For a $60 clock, this was more trouble than it was worth, so I decided against it.

I then decided to purchase an iHome iA9 which was sure to work. I just unpacked it and set it up. When I docked the iPhone on it...you guessed it...nothing. It is still not charging. The funny thing is that the iPhone will play music through the iHome with no problems. I had also tried plugging the iHome into a different outlet with no luck either. I am out of ideas. I am left to assume that for some reason, my phone does no longer like charging when docked on to an alarm clock.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can get this to work again? I recently upgraded to iOS 5.1 and honestly don't know if that would have anything to do with it. But the likelihood of 2 completely different clock radios exhibiting the same problem is virtually non-existent.

As mentioned, I tried rebooting the phone with no luck. Docking the phone to a standard charging cable plugged into the wall charges the phone fine. Docking the phone on an iPhone compatable dock charges the phone fine. Is the problem with my phone?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:35 PM

hi nubwagon

check and make sure your sony clock docking points are clean and theres nothing (for example any dust/fluff stuck in it)

make sure the iphone is clean to at the bottom were you connect your usb cable

As i had similar problem,but with my macbook,i would plug it in to charge (macbook this is )and the little orange light would not illuminate (this is on the macbook charger cabe),then the charging icon at the top of the screen would not show it was charging.

so i check the connection point,and you know what was causing the problem?yeh you guessed it ,a little piece of fluff!!

cleaned it,and hey it worked.

im not saying its what your problem is,but worth checking

good luck

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Nubwagon

hi nubwagon

check and make sure your sony clock docking points are clean and theres nothing (for example any dust/fluff stuck in it)

make sure the iphone is clean to at the bottom were you connect your usb cable

As i had similar problem,but with my macbook,i would plug it in to charge (macbook this is )and the little orange light would not illuminate (this is on the macbook charger cabe),then the charging icon at the top of the screen would not show it was charging.

so i check the connection point,and you know what was causing the problem?yeh you guessed it ,a little piece of fluff!!

cleaned it,and hey it worked.

im not saying its what your problem is,but worth checking

good luck

Mar 16, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Nubwagon

Sometimes iOS updates affect compatibility with devices that used to work. While it is natural to assume it is Apple's fault, it can easily be the accessory manufacturer's fault for not incorporating certain(existing) iOS requirements, which may only reveal itself after an iOS update. The manufacturer may offer a firmware update soon, so check with iHome (you may have more success with them than Sony). Of course, it could be Apple's fault, which may be resolved in a future update.

May 14, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Nubwagon

Hey all, just an update on this situation. I recently upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 hoping this would get fixed with the latest upgrade. Still no dice. So I can charge my iPhone on my old iH9 but not on the iA9 or the Sony clock radio. I'm left to assume the iOS upgrade knocked out the ability to charge on all 3rd party charging devices.

So how is this not Apple's fault? iOS5 was working fine, then iOS5.1 and newer made these not work. Why in God's name would they disable the ability to charge with other devices? Seems totally pointless to me.

Either way, this needs to be fixed. The main reason I bought an iPhone compatible alarm clock is so my phone would charge overnight. Now it's not even doing that, so these clock radios are essentially worthless.

May 14, 2012 12:50 PM in response to Nubwagon

Nubwagon wrote:

I'm left to assume the iOS upgrade knocked out the ability to charge on all 3rd party charging devices.

Your logic does not stand. If fact, you disproved this statement in the previous sentence:

Nubwagon wrote:

So I can charge my iPhone on my old iH9 but not on the iA9 or the Sony clock radio.

Apple did not disable the ability to charge with other devices. What you have is 3rd party alarm clock/docks that didn't meet the specs laid out by Apple from the beginning.

Talk to the manufacturer of the clock.

May 14, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Nubwagon

Nubwagon wrote:

So how is this not Apple's fault?

Tim touched on it, but I'll elaborate ...

As you can imagine, as a designer there can be multiple ways to implement a particular function in the complex relationship between software and hardware. One of the ways will be "correct" (or at least more correct) but other approaches may work, for a time. As the software changes, these "alternate" approaches no longer work, giving the impression that it is the software's fault. Accessory manufacturers are supposed to follow set rules for interfacing with iOS, but it is quite possible that their implementation is not correct, but may function just fine upon release. Eventually the accessory manufacturer's implementation no longer functions because they didn't explicitly follow iOS defnitions.

One could also argue that Apple did not define the rules clearly, or maybe even changed the rules along the way, but we'll really never know. Your best bet is to contact the accessory manufacturers to see if they have a firmware update (but don't hold your breath).

May 15, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Nubwagon

Tim, I was speaking generally. Obviously the iOS upgrade didn't remove the ability to charge on ALL 3rd party devices, else my iH9 wouldn't charge it either.

What I just can't understand is how an old iHome model works just fine with a new iPhone, yet a new iHome model will not. If anything, I would think it would be the other way around.

Anyway, I emailed iHome explaining my situation and I asked if they had planned on releasing a firmware update to fix the problem. I got the typical generic response about unplugging the iHome & removing the batteries for an hour then trying again. And if that doesn't work, send it in for repair in which I would need to pay for the shipping.

If I decide to go that route, I think it's just going to be a waste of time as I would get the iHome back "repaired" and it would have the exact same problem. But I guess I'll never know until I try.

I remember reading on these forums about several others having the same problem. So what are the odds that the iHomes these other people got who are experiencing the same problem are problematic as well? Unless the "repair" iHome is referring to is a firmware update, I don't really buy into this.

Jun 28, 2012 5:57 AM in response to Nubwagon

Another update:

So I sent the iHome unit back for "repairs" & just received what I believe is a new unit yesterday. Tried docking my iPhone to see if it will charge and...you guessed it...nothing...

The music plays through the speakers but again, it just won't charge. I just don't get it. *** is the problem!??!

I think I'm going to try & sell it to someone or try to send it back for a refund. It's worthless to me now.

Sep 20, 2013 2:00 PM in response to papaman6

I have two IHome clock radios one for the front part of the house & one for the bedroom. The older one works fine & charges my iphone. But the newer model IP9 keeps showing a warning "Charging is not supported with this accessory" and when I was playing music from the iphone such as Pandora, it was cutting off. I called iHome Customer Support and was told it was probably the docking connecter and I should purchase a new one for $13.50 (must send check before they would mail me the part). So I receive the new part and install it with no printed instructions. Customer Service rep said it was really easy just a couple of screws. Wonder if she had ever replaced one as it was more than than. But after replacing the new docking connecter, I still get the message, "Charging not supported with this accessory". After reading others experiences....& my experience.the newer iHome radio goes to the trash bucket. What a waste!

My iPhone 4S is not charging when plugged into clock radio. What's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.