Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emoji sync across devices

I used to be able to use emoji characters in iCal descriptions, and they would sync across devices and computers via iCloud. They no longer sync, instead a question mark in a box appears where the emoji character was on the device used to input the character. This is now the case between iOS and OS devices, though just last week, the characters would sync fine if originally inputed on an OSX computer (showing up on iPad, iPhone and other Macs fine). Any others experiencing this problem?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 8:26 AM

24 replies

Mar 19, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Dr.FunkToasten

I just found out that if iCloud pushes the new created event to my iCal (on my Mac) or to the iCal of my girlfriend (on her Mac) the Emoji icons are also replaces by this "�" sign. o.O

After all, the old events, who was created before that iCloud Server Problem (mentioned in the main post) still have their Emoji icons. Only new created events are affected.

Note: The events are always shown correctely on the device on which they are created. F.ex. if I create the event (with an Emoji icon) on my iPhone, it's shown correclty on my iPhone, but on my girlfriends' iPhone or Mac and even on my own Mac it has this "�" sign. Really strange.

Please Apple fix this. That looks horrible. 😢

Apr 4, 2012 3:16 PM in response to Dr.FunkToasten

I use my own iCloud/iTunes Account) with an Emoji icons in the title, I see this "��", instead of the Emoji Icons. This happens with the every-Emoji Icon.

I create a calendar event on iphone and it goes to icloud calendar online correctly but does not make it onto my macbook's ical

After all, the old events, who was created before that iCloud Server still have their Emoji icons. Only new created events are affected.

Any suggestions to fix this or is this an iCloud server bug?

Apr 4, 2012 4:23 PM in response to malicea66

Several of us have been reporting the same thing for about two weeks with no resolution. It is a new problem since I used emoji on my mac and iphone interchangeable for quite a while until this problem started. I think it is related to the calendar server for icloud (and reminders are part of the calendar on a mac).

It is a new problem but did work on iCloud for a while but not any more...... good luck in the cure as APPLE seems to be ignoring all of us. I suggest some e-mails to apple about iCloud as possible on their feedback page?

Emoji sync across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.