Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 Wifi Connection Problems

For some reason my ipad is refusing to connect to wifi. This is occuring at home and at work but seems particularly bad on security enabled networks with zero success connecting to them. Here are the symptoms...

1) Wifi is on

2) router is reset and accepting connections from multiple devices (including iphone etc)

3) IPad sees networks with full strength

4) Try to connect to network

5) conection shows trying (spinning circle)

6) ipad connects sometimes for about half a second then starts the spin again

7) connection attempt doesn't timeout but keeps on trying

8) connectivity bar shows full strength the whole time

Troubleshooting methodology...

1) reset wifi router

2) made sure WMM was enabled properly

3) checked credentials

4) reset network connections

5) rebooted device

6) turned on and off wifi

7) tried on non-security enabled wifi

Anyone else seeing issues like this? Any help is appreciated!

iPad, iOS 5.1, iPad 3

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:16 PM

12 replies

Apr 8, 2012 9:02 AM in response to green6295

You might be lucky. Look up your hardware version number and download the firmware update.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E4200

Just follow the site instructions on getting installed. After this is done, test it. If it still does not

work, try a different wpa encryption open. WPA or WPA2.

As for me, I had already returned my iPad3 and complained to them about the poor QA regression testing.

My iPad2 works fine with my old Cisco 800 series router that is Cisco IOS based.

Apr 8, 2012 12:29 PM in response to tofisher

Here comes an answer how it works on my iPad3.

I tried all the same things before.

But nowhere You can read :

Change Your WiFi-Router Password.

And what are You thinking?

YES, NOW IT WORKS!!!

Hope this will help some or all of You, too.

Pls let me and all others here know does it works or not.

Here a kind of a Password what I use:

November1901

Greetings from Germany with a WiFi working iPad3

Apr 8, 2012 5:02 PM in response to tofisher

Look at iOS Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

Additional things to try.

Try this first. Turn Off your iPad. Then turn Off (disconnect power cord) the wireless router & then back On. Now boot your iPad. Hopefully it will see the WiFi.

Change the channel on your wireless router. Instructions at http://macintoshhowto.com/advanced/how-to-get-a-good-range-on-your-wireless-netw ork.html

How to Quickly Fix iPad 3 Wi-Fi Reception Problems

http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/21/fix-new-ipad-3-wi-fi-reception-problems/

If none of the above suggestions work, look at this link.

iPad Wi-Fi Problems: Comprehensive List of Fixes

http://appletoolbox.com/2010/04/ipad-wi-fi-problems-comprehensive-list-of-fixes/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 13, 2012 8:11 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

I've posted a video on the solution for the constant disconnects. I basically walk through all the steps showing how I can easily reproduce the disconnect by simply turnning off the wifi and turning it back on (it doesn't automatically reconnect and requires me to re-enter the password if I try to connect). I then remedy this by configuring the connection manually and demonstrate how it automatically reconnects there after.

I can reproduct this over and over again. With the manual connection I'm never disconnected in a way where I need to enter the password again while the automatic configuration can repeatedly require me to enter the password from time to time.

Again, this is not the signal strength issue, this is just for the people complaining about the repeated disconnects and need to reenter password situation.

http://michael.olivero.com/post/2012/04/05/iPad3-WiFi-connection-issues-resolved .aspx

For signal strength issues:

- I have signal strenth diagnosis in my router which shows and refreshes every 5 seconds independently showing the signal and bandwidth for each connected device (no need to do speed tests; speed tests go out to the internet and may vary on their own). I will do a video monitoring the signal strength of two iPad3s, iPod touch, & iPhone4 while I walk away from my house. All devices will be on a platter while I record the signal and bandwidth. Here is a screenshot of the monitoring software as it is now so you know what to expect in the video. The values update in real time every 5 seconds.

User uploaded file

I plan to video tape it while I do the walk. I will identify each device first by Mac address so we can tell which is which.

I did see possible indications of minor wifi degredation if "Ask to Join Networks" is on but I haven't been able to confirm if this is normal accross all devices or if it's related to iPad3 only. It's very minor though (signal strength from 100 to 87 or so -- NOTE: 87 is still 3 full bars full bandwidth rate of 65.

Jun 16, 2012 2:38 PM in response to tofisher

I am also having the very same issues. My new iPad 3 keeps losing interconnection, great signal strength, no issues with any of my laptops. I've tried the new Motorola cable modem/router with secured password and without, no difference. Have rebooted it, no difference. I have to keep going to the WiFi and choose my network and then it connects, but the little circle spinner will then start spinning after a brief moment, lose connection and I have to start all over again. Very frustrating! If this doesn't get resolved I also will be returning my iPad 3 back to Best Buy for a refund. Oh, and I tried all the suggestions also on this page, nothing made a difference. Thanks.

<Email Edited By Host>

Jun 16, 2012 2:33 PM in response to RWCole

Same issue - WiFi connects, after 10+ minutes, no connection. Wifi signal indicator showing all bars, Wifi status shows connected. Anythign using the connection stops, spinning symbol.

iPad 32gb wifi only.

Airport Extreme

Two other iPads in the house, iPad 1 and iPad 2. PC also connected. 20 feet from Airport Extreme. All rounters updates.

First iPad returned after trying all the unrelated fixes (reset network, turn off auto screen brighness, adjust screen brightness, change router.....)

Got a seconf iPad from BestBuy, exact same symptoms. Returned for money back

Went to AppleStore today, asked about symptoms and the many reports on here and other web postings. They said "We have only had one wifi problem reported since the iPad 3 came out!!!! Sure, I thought.

I purchased my third iPad 3 today and will run it through it;s tests. I'll not put any apps on and just useSafari and the App Store. I have checked my router, it's up to date.

Apple need to respond to this or I'll jump away from the iPad which would be a bad thing as I make recommendations for mobile devices in my day job.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I'll update after todats testing.

Jun 17, 2012 10:35 PM in response to tofisher

Well.... I thought I had it figured out. I returned my second 32gb Wi-Fi ipad to Bestbuy. Went to the Aplpe store, asked about the problem and was told they had not heard of any wifi issue wit the "new iPad". I guess they can't use google!

I deciede I'd purchase another. I also found out that my network which has an Airport Extreme acting as an AP only wired gigabit to my Rounter only. I also had an Airpot Express configured to extend wireless. The iPad was 20 feet from the Extreme unit and about 30 feet and two walls from the Express extender. Turns out that the Express unit was a generation 1 model yet I purchased new from BestBuy 3 weeks ago. I returned that unit and got the most recent model that extends dual balc and looks like an AppleTV box but white.

I tested with my 3rd iPad and all went well the first night. I downloaded apps, left it on, allowed it to sleep, etc. No wifi issues. Today I tested again and within minutes the wifi stopped responding in all apps. Moving the unit got a connection again, eventually but this repeated.

The wifi only iPad seems to have issues and it's going back tomorrow night.

Jun 24, 2012 3:38 PM in response to tofisher

A follow-up. No solution just more information.

My wifi setup is using an Apple Airport Extreme and I use an Apple Express as an extender/repeater. I tried removing the extender and I went two nights without a wifi drop or lost connection.

I hope to put the express back in in a day or two and see if the problem returns.

Maybe the iPad does not gracefully transition from the one unit to the other. My testing was done about half way between the two devices.

iPad 3 Wifi Connection Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.