Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 "Death Grip" - video showing WHY so many people are having wifi connection problems!

OK I think a lot of you are confusing weak wifi reception for "the death grip" - I've uploaded a youtube video demonstrating how my signal will go from perfect to almost nothing if you hold the ipad in landscape mode on the bottom left corner (with volume buttons on the bottom, home button on the left).

You can see the youtube video I uploaded here:

http://youtu.be/rB9nI-Fv2o0

This clearly demonstrates the ipad 3 design is very flawed, as it is only natural to hold the ipad on the bottom left corner with your hand when using it! This device is designed to be held, not rest on a table!!!

I apologize for my poor filming, it was done with an iphone 4S by me while also trying to demonstrate the problem, lol. I don't see how apple is going to fix this with firmware/software... iPad 3 is fundamentally broken...

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 8:51 AM

29 replies

Mar 22, 2012 9:16 AM in response to RyanLucier

Wow! I don't have mine yet but looks as if you're on to something here regarding the connection problems.

Thanks for doing the research. I just went to see how I hold my iPad 1 and sure enough, that's where I hold it except I don't usually use it in landscape.

Hopefully we'll hear some more replies from those who try this.

Mar 22, 2012 11:48 AM in response to RyanLucier

Purchased another iPad 3, this time a white one, and the new iPad 3 does the EXACT same thing. This is a design flaw, unless I'm *that* unlucky to get a white and black ipad 3 both with the same issue.

I've just uploaded a youtube video to show you the results on the white iPad 3:

http://youtu.be/0ZeJhVOXQSA

How Apple ever missed this, I don't know.

Mar 22, 2012 12:16 PM in response to RyanLucier

RyanLucier wrote:

By the way, I tried this test outside of the griffin intellicase and the result was identical, so it's not an issue of the case affecting it

I have my new iPad in an Otterbox Defender case. I cannot duplicate your results. I get absolutely no slowdown at all, let alone one that depends upon grip.

If it is indeed a problem that impacts all new iPads and not just a few then it can be alleviated with at least one case. I would take it out and test it, but I spent an hour getting everything clean so that there was absolutely no dust inside the case so I won't be testing it bare.

I think a much larger sample size is necessary to be sure and it probably should take into account the frequency used. For example, I'm using the 5 GHz band and not the 2.4 GHz band.

I will add one more slightly related statement. This is my 2nd iPad '3'. My first one had exactly one problem, the top third of the display looked as if someone had spilled diluted coffee on it. My replacement, FedEx'ed overnight to me from Apple, is perfect. No problems with the display, no overheating problems, no 'excessive battery discharge' problem, no 'excessive battery charge time' problems, and as reported above, no Wi-Fi related problems.

Was I just lucky the second time around? I hope not, I hope it is more the situation that a few have problems. If that is the case then Apple should find a relatively quick fix for these issues that have been reported many times by users.

Mar 22, 2012 12:25 PM in response to RyanLucier

It all makes sense with the RyanLucier video, rigth in that spot is the WiFi antenna, so it's maybe an issue with the cable shield or antenna poor assembly. If you look at the iFixit pics, the antenna goes from the down right to the down left (where it connects to the logic board) so I'm almost shure it is a hardware issue.

Take a look here where it shows where the WiFi antenna is located and where it connects:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/eyLICksCtBhxqKIJ.huge

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/ctqRdHkjOEjCZy1K.huge

Mar 22, 2012 1:17 PM in response to RyanLucier

Ryan, may I suggest that your demonstration has some fundamental flaws. Mainly, you cannot rely on Speeedtest to be an accurate measure of wifi signal integrity. Even after you release the corner, the Speedtest dial fluctuates wildly. Also, many Internet connections tend to throttle up over time. I didn't notice the wifi strength indicator on the iPad dropping.

A much better test would be to test only wifi on your LAN. You can do this by syncing the same file via iTunes onto your iPad, with wireless sync. Take an AAC file, or video clip, and time one without your hand in place, and one with your hand in place. This will correctly isolate the wifi LAN.

You need to understand, Speedtest measures the speed between your Internet connection and a Speedtest server. There are so many hops in between, which is why, even when you let go of the corner, it fluctuated quite a bit.

I would love to test this, but I have an iPad 2 and need to do some work (coding).

I will say, I never had a grip of death issue on my iPhone 4. My previous Samsung feature phone had a sticker on it, advising the user not to hold it "here" because it would attenuate the signal. This is true of most devices. That said, no matter how I hold my iPhone 4, I cannot reproduce the grip of death. Maybe my hands are too sweaty, or maybe Verizon CDMA holds a signal better (but wifi seems fine too).

I am not saying there is not a problem. I don't know. What I do know is that your test has flaws.

When I first used my iPad 2, almost a year ago, I had slower wifi, compared to my other computers. I did some research, and found that there are some changes to settings (dual band, the channel, etc) and that improved things greatly. In the end, I bought an Airport Extreme. While pricey for a wifi router, it is "da bomb". But I think any decent 802.11n wifi router should work fine. That said, my AE pumps out far more signal than any 802.11n wifi router I have used. I can actually use my wifi connection on my iPhone 4, with 2 "bars" when I am outside my condo building, in the courtyard, about 700 feet away. On the contrary, a Belkin wireless N wifi router I bought for an unappreciative family member, could barely pass its signal to the other end of the house, not even 300 feet away, in a home with an open floor plan...

Apple is not perfect, but better than any other company out there. I have used all sorts of software and hardware in my long career as an enterprise software developer. The fact that every collegue I know has an iPhone, iPad, and Mac, and most Silicon Valley companies are giving their developers Macs speaks volumes. My friend's wife is an Android developer (works on MotoBlur) and she uses a Mac. I can't count the tears before bedtime when I tried to use IBM RAD 7 on a brand new DELL laptop with Windows. I gave up and used a text editor and ANT scripts.

But by all means, be critical, but make sure you have the facts and the right tests. Also, coming off half cocked like this is a fata design flaw, when you don't have all the facts, is not helpful. Save your judgements for after all the facts are gathered. It could very well be a design flaw. It could be a software issue. It could be your wifi router. It could be a lot of things.

It could be the fact that websites get a lot of hits and ad revenues when they post a story about a "huge flaw" with a successful Apple product. No one seems to care that, for example, the Nexus S would reboot itself during phone calls. Continually. People who write about Apple flaws will guarantee to get hits on their website or blog, and some dollars in their pocket.

For example, after iOS 5 came out, I heard about all these battery issues. I still charged my iPhone 4 once every 2-3 days. With this wifi issue, I read comments from people with iPad 3's that say the wifi works just fine. It may be something that affects a few users, like the battery issue.

Anyway, I have to get back to much more important things. I don't think this is newsworthy at all. When a company makes something that is 100% perfect, that is newsworthy, because it is simply not possible.

Mar 22, 2012 2:35 PM in response to RyanLucier

Just FYI, I went to an apple store today and replicated this problem on a BRAND NEW ipad 3. That's 3 out of 3 ipad's that has this problem, I don't think this is an isolated incident. This was repeatable 3 times, with 3 different ipads, in multiple wireless networks... one of which was the **** apple store!

For the guy who asked, I used 2 different routers, a 2.4ghz and 5ghz, in both situations the router was approximately 15 ft away from the ipad.

Mar 22, 2012 5:33 PM in response to PogoPossum

I'm prepared to write this off as roughly analogous to the Russian guy on the train through Siberia whose body was magnetic, allowing you to stick flatware and tin cans and all sorts of stuff onto him (see "An Idiot Abroad", featuring Karl Pilkington at his best ...).

It may be a phenomenon, but it seems right now to be one restricted to a rather small ... vanishingly small .. number of people experiencing it.

iPad 3 "Death Grip" - video showing WHY so many people are having wifi connection problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.