Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iphone 3gs update ios 4.2.1 to 5.1 error 37

I just bought an iphone 3gs and it came with ios 4.2.1 , the first thing i did was try to update to ios 5.1, and i keep on getting error 37. I tried disableing the antivirus, windows firewall and all the others solutions i found in discuttions and nothing worked

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 11:17 AM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2012 1:13 PM in response to vlad_12

Something is wrong. Have you ever used your machine to jailbreak, or attempt to downgrade an iDevice?

Honestly, I'd take it back. I can't find a single reference on the google for this error where the phone was not jailbroken.

The battery shouldn't have been completely dead out of the box, nor should it have had anything less than 5.0 on it. iPhones are in high enough demand world wide that they should not be sitting on the shelves that long. More likely, someone at the shop decided to play with it and completely borked it up, then re-set it and put it back in the box. Re-shrink wrapping something is trivially easy.

Mar 22, 2012 1:16 PM in response to KiltedTim

I've tried 3 different windows machines, and it's the same problem. Never used my pc for jailbreaking, I also have a 4s which updated to 5.1 when it came out ithout any problems. The battery was down and unfortunetly i can't take it back, i can only take it to a warranty service, there is no apple store where i live 😟 . And to think i wanted to but an ipad 3..with this kind of problems, no thank you apple

Mar 22, 2012 1:41 PM in response to vlad_12

WHY can you not take it back? This is most likely not an Apple problem. This is a problem with someone who decided to do something they should not have to the phone. As I said, there is something drastically wrong with this scenario.

If you can't take it back, try putting it into DFU mode (search here or on Google for instructions) and see if you can restore it that way.

Mar 22, 2012 1:51 PM in response to vlad_12

It can't be from my pc, if my 4s updated just find, right now i tried using my dad's laptop which didn't even have itunes instaleld on it, same result. The sim that i have inserted has a pin code but this was never a problem before. I couldn't find anyone who updated from 4.2.1 to 5.1 so either no one tried( i doubt it, or there were no problems)

When i activated the phone it was the "long" activation, meaing i had to put in my address and stuff, so i think the phone was indeed new and not resealed

Brand new iphone 3gs update ios 4.2.1 to 5.1 error 37

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.