Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS Keeps Shutting Down

My iPhone 3gs keeps turning itself off, then the apple logo turns up for like 3 minutes, and then it goes onto the lock screen and i go to unlock it and it just turns itself off again. It doesnt find reception and the battery goes in like 1 hour from 100% to 0. It also gets really really hot. ITS SO FRUSTRATING! HELP!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 5:58 PM

Basics from the User Guide are restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new. Have you tried ALL of these?

9 replies

Mar 23, 2012 4:25 AM in response to xtremecarbon

i have tried like five different computers and everytime i plug it into the computers it freezes the itunes then the whole itunes system just shuts down and by the time i click on my iphone in the itunes it has turned itself off. and now it keeps coming up after i restored it that an unknown error has occured and i looked at the errors on the apple website and this one isnt on the list!

Mar 25, 2012 11:52 AM in response to xtremecarbon

My problem is similiar I have an IPhone 3gs which started turning itself off and seemed to be having battery issues. Then it started showing a white screen. I tried restoring it through ITunes but got errors and eventually it would not switch on at all. I took it apart to inspect the battery and it was blown and swollen so I brought a replacement. Once I had fitted this and charged the phone I was back to the white screen.

I could get the phone into DFU mode and it would be recognized in ITunes but would not restore. I have had numerous errors in ITunes from 16xx or 31xx or 21 and each time I researched an error I ended up with a different error.

Things have gotten worse and now I only get a short flash of the apple logo and it keeps repeating this. I can get it into DFU mode but if I try to restore it in ITunes it hangs on the preparing IPhone for restore with an eventual 1601 error or if I use Tiny Umbrella as the server I still get the1601 error.

I have used a mac running Lion and a windows computer running windows 7 with different leads. I have tried using IReb and Tiny Umbrella. I have saved the SHSH

iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)-409197800845

iPhone3GS 5.0.1 (9A405)-409197800845

I have tried researching this problem for ages but unable to come up with any answers.

The phone firmware is 5.0.1 and the baseband is 05.16.05-6.4_M3S2 and it was not jailbroken.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am getting no where.

Mar 25, 2012 5:53 PM in response to arohap

arohap, your battery is at the end of its life.

it WILL balloon and expand inside your iphone, eventually breaking the logic board and screen.

You can easily tell if your battery is expanding just by looking at the screen and seeing any kind of pressure being placed on it, it will make the LCD crystals look all funny.

I had 2 (of my 2 3GS's that i own) both have their batteries expand and bend their logic boards with the last 3 weeks. both you could see very noticably pressure on their screens.

If you see this pressure on the screen, DO NOT Continue charging your iPhone.

my recommendation is to open up the iphone and remove the battery asap! else your logic board and screen will be destroyed from the pressure being placed on it from the expanding battery (bag).

So to finish my story, i replaced one of the batteries in one of my 3GS's just today. bought from an amazon seller, so it is not an OEM Apple battery. and now i have it charging. its notstop turning off. from starting with 4% battery upon install and now even at 18% battery, it keeps turning off. so im suspecting there has been some kind of damage done to it from the expanding battery.

Mar 26, 2012 4:09 AM in response to wrexsti

wrexsti: thankyou for helping, so far theres no pressue building in the screen but im gonna buy a new battery and put it in, to see if it still works, if not definately getting new phone,

xtremecarbon: the error that keeps coming up is -1, i tried googling it and it still doesnt have it, so if you find it anywhere that would be oh so helpful

thankyou to all the people that helped me trying to fix my phone, your answers were better than google forums!

iPhone 3GS Keeps Shutting Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.