Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and FaceTime not working

Hi,

I updated my IOS to 5.1 the other day, and since then neither iMessage nor FaceTime has been working correctly. I'm currently studying abroad in Spain, so my phone number is deactivated. I still have my apple ID on my phone however, which should be enough to use iMessage and FaceTime. When I go into settings, it says iMessage is "waiting for activation". I obviously can't call customer support either, as my phone is deactivated. Apple is really making me angry now. Updating the phone took away my iMessage and FaceTime abilities, and now I can't even contact them because they don't believe in email support. Can anyone propose a solution to my problem? It would be much appreciated!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 8:21 AM

69 replies

Mar 25, 2012 4:29 AM in response to tyf91

I have literally the exact same issue. I am also studying abroad in Spain. I got iMessage to activate by restoring my network settings and needing to type in the wifi password again but this still didn't make iMessage start working again. I have read multiple postings and I still cannot get iMessage to work. Some messages used to send out through my email but now they don't send at all. I would really appreicate help as well!!

Mar 25, 2012 12:30 PM in response to tyf91

Mine didn't work for 2 months and this fixed it, so I posted it in another discussion and have been getting "thank you" replies nearly daily:

Just update your date/time settings:

Settings

> General

>> Date & Time

>>> Set Automatically: Slide "ON"...If it's already on, then slide it off, chill for a bit (maybe restart it), then slide it back on.

I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1, but other users with 3GS, 4S, and even iTouch devices replied that it worked.

May 24, 2012 6:03 PM in response to tyf91

Ok , I had this issue myself. Searched the blogs , did all i could. NOTHING.

Calld in to apple told them about it. After talking to the "senior advisor", who took my information and forwarded it to the engineers and 2 days of waiting this was the repsonse : apparently if your carrier is not an official partner with Apple (i.e: at&t, verizon, sprint ) then after updating to 5.1.x you will not be able to use either facetime or imessage. So it's not a glitch its "by design"(sic). Apparently the man I was talking to was not aware of this till i called in and said that the clause is probably in the fine print somewhere.

Official solution - you need an international sms plan to get the imessage working and call in you carrier to see how that goes.

I filed in an official complaint regarding the matter and it remains to be seen wether anything will be done about this lapse in standards.

iMessage and FaceTime not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.