Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.4 update has serious Javascript problem.

I cannot properly access most sites using javascript. This has affected Safari, Chrome, Firefox. How do I revert to previous version?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 2:26 PM

18 replies

Mar 28, 2012 10:31 AM in response to BonitaDude

My platform:

OS X 10.7.3

Safari 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 (same results)

My app uses a sha-512 hashing scheme in javascript to hash passwords at login time. This has been working on all browsers from April 2009 until the Safari 5.1.4 update. Safari 5.1.4-5 on OS X 10.7.3 is the only browser for which this fails ( no, the update doesn't work either ).

Again, I emphasize that up until 5.1.4/5, everything was absolutely fine in 64-bit mode.

Interestingly, I have a report that Safari 5.1.4 under Windows continues to function correctly. I don't know about 5.1.5 on Windows.

I am reasonably certain that the problem isn't the javascript code I'm using -- it's OS X Safari 5.1.4/5.

Sadly, I had to withdraw application support for Safari because of this. I am an Apple advocate normally, but this is a huge black eye for me.

Mar 29, 2012 4:21 AM in response to jgenoese

We are experiencing exactly the same problem described by jgonese with Safari 5.1.4/5.1.5 (64bit on OS X 10.6.8).

To reproduce the problem go to http://jssha.sourceforge.net/ where every other browser will yield the correct results.

When setting breakpoints in the code with the debugging tool, then correct values are computed, without the breakpoints in normal program flow the results are wrong.

This strongly suggests that something went very wrong with the performance tuning of Safari's latest javascript engine.

Safari 5.1.4 update has serious Javascript problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.