Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 vs iPad 2 memory/price

From what I've gathered, one should get at least a 38GB model of either generation in order for it to be a good investment. Right now the refurbished 16GB #2 is at 349 and the refurbished 32GB is $449. My question is if the new iPad is worth even considering at 16GB due to how fast that'll burn up with the fancier displays?

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:58 PM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2012 5:23 AM in response to Dal9000

I was very happy with my 16 GB original model, but found that the higher res graphics in the newer apps filled up much more. Because I keep some movies and magazines on there, I returned it and purchased a 32 GB.

If you're planning on storing a lot of movies and other media on the iPad, buy the 32GB ipad2. If you plan on using it for games that would benefit from the better screen, buy the 16GB new iPad.

Mar 26, 2012 6:04 AM in response to Dal9000

I'm happy with my new iPad. The battery doesn't seem to have any problems, and the device hasn't gotten hot (I've tested this "heatgate" issue myself, without any abnormal results from normal use), and the new screen is beautiful.

Other than that, there isn't much of a difference between the new iPad and the iPad 2; but if you're going to be installing a lot of apps, games, movies, and music, I'd recommend going with the Refurbished 32gb device. However, if you're going to be doing graphic intensive processes, I'd recommend going with the new iPad.

Mar 26, 2012 2:00 PM in response to Dal9000

I just purchased the new ipad ( 16Gb) for my wife (she used iPad I) . I was thinking about iPad 2 but when I compared the new iPad side-by-side with ipad 2 in my local Bestbuy store, I never looked back ipad 2.

I also compared iPad 2 with my original ipad and they look the same in display performance. However, the difference between ipad 2012 and ipad 2 is huge, I would say you will immediately notice the difference like day and night! What's a huge improvement. Apple does the great job.

I read a lot on tablet, ( we buy tablet to read, don't we?), so retina display is so important to me. Everything appears on the screen is much better, including sharpness/colors of pictures and letters.

The retina display alone is worth $100 difference between the two generations, IMO.

I sold my Android tablet and thinking ablout selling or giving my original ipad ( 3G) as well to buy another ipad 2012. I made a right decision to buy the new ipad for her. After looking on the retina display, I don't look elsewhere.

BTW, I don't have any issue with heating as some people complain. I watch Netflix movies and I think heating is in normal level even the ipad is enclosed by a leather case.

Better graphic display, warmer the unit is and longer to charger the battery.

If you can't spend much, then get 16G but I think ipad 3 is the way to go.

iPad 3 vs iPad 2 memory/price

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.