Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad battery drain

Hi guys,

Yesterday I've charged my iPad 3 for the first time (100% + extra hours). I unplugged it before I went to bed.

Just now (9 hours later) I picked it up and I noticed it's already at 90%. That's 10% for standby without loaded apps as the thing was down to 0% (shutdown) before I started charging.

I don't see that happening on my iPad 1 (same apps running) and phone. Is this normal?

iPad, iOS 5.1, new ipad

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 1:20 AM

Yes, there might be an update to fix that issue (iOS 5.1.1)
80 replies

Mar 26, 2012 2:37 AM in response to Meneer Tuur

I have just the Same problem, i hope There Will be an update for that of you calculade that the iPad 2 stays 30 Days in standby and the new iPad only 4 Days with à full battery (-1%/hour)

I'm not glad with this.. I tested some Things and of you put you're iPad at flightmode you dont lose so much % like now but stil it is not normal that we put out iPad in flightmode of off to save battery in standby of to charge faster..

Greatigs,

Steve

Mar 26, 2012 4:14 AM in response to Meneer Tuur

I know you said you don't have any apps installed, but look in the settings for notifications and see what's defaulted on. Examples I've seen in the past is mail defaulting to fetch instead of push (So it's always reaching out to pull in mail, burning battery). ALso I've noticed that my bluetooth seems to always be on where it used to go dormant.

Just little things that default on that can be battery eaters.

Mar 26, 2012 11:59 AM in response to Meneer Tuur

I, too, have noticed about 8-10% battery drain overnight on my 32gb wifi only model. My settings are very similar: push on for a select few apps (mail, twitter/facebook, etc.), wifi on, bluetooth off.

My previous iPad 2 had exactly the same settings/conditions when I would leave it off the charger overnight and I would not see this type of battery drain.

As an experiment, I turned on airplane mode last night and awoke to only a 2% drop in indicated charge this morning. Seems like a bug in iOS 5.1 dealing with the wifi and/or cellular data connection (and I truly hope that it is). Don't really want to go through swapping this one out for a replacement. Will definitely stay tuned to this thread.

Mar 26, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Meneer Tuur

I am experiencing the same quick battery drain issues with my new iPad. I charged it overnight and hardly used it this morning and not I have 89% left on usage using wi-fi overriding LTE. I pretty much did all the tips online on conserving battery on the iPhone 4, applied the same settings on my new iPad. This is my 3rd iPad (64gb with LTE) ; have had iPad 1 - 2 and now this. My old iPad 2 has better battery life than this one.

HELLOOOOOOO, Apple, how many entries in this discussion forum re this issue do you need to look at this and come up with the fix just like that of iPhone 4. Come on!

Mar 26, 2012 12:48 PM in response to Meneer Tuur

As I have said before, it doesn't matter if you have an LTE version of the iPad or wifi version. There is a bug in the OS (iOS) and we will probably see a new update (iOS 5.1.1) within 1 - 2 weeks. So just keep an eye on it!

P.S Btw, These tips might help you to save some extra % of your battery life before the new iOS update:

1. If you have bluetooth or LTE (LTE version) enabled and you don't use it,Make sure to always disable them.
  2. Delete apps that are running in background. (Multitaskingbar)
  3. Disable "Location Services". (Settings --> Location services --> OFF)
  4. ALWAYS charge you iPad to 100% before unplug it.
  5. Turn down the "Brightness" to 35-40 % (Instead of 50%)

This will of course work on all iDevices that are running on iOS 5, 5.0.1, 5.1.

Hope this can help you for now until the update. 🙂

Mar 30, 2012 12:51 AM in response to Meneer Tuur

Hi, I just wanted to add my experience to this thread.

I was having the same issues as everyone else on a new iPad wifi only 64Gb. Tried all the solutions, switching off wifi, locations services, push email and even restoring back to factory setting with no apps installed, but was still getting the 7-9% drain overnight (roughly 8 hours).

I spoke to Apple phone support who were very helpful but basically said 1% drain per hour in standby was usual, so I was almost ready to give in and just put up with it as a 'feature' of the new iPad. Luckily a couple of days later I was able to compare against a friends new unit and as I expected, his had no drain in standby overnight.

As my 14 day guarantee was almost up, I decided to book a Genius call and after explaining the situation to the support guy (once again, who was very helpful) he was more than happy to swap the unit over.

I'm now the proud owner of the device I originally started out to buy - absolutely no drain in standby overnight, no heat issues or wifi problems - basically, really pleased with it.

The moral of the story is that although the 1% drain per hour maybe within tolerance (and could just possibly be mis-calibration on the battery meter) there are units out there that perform as I would expect out of the box.

My last comment would be praise for the Apple support - although it is annoying to get what I class as a defective unit, at least they can be bought with the knowledge that Apple will try their best to help the customer ultimately get the device they are after, even if that involves multiple swap-overs.

Hope this post is useful to someone.

Jamie.

New iPad battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.