Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filming video with iPhone camera app has no sound

Hi,

I have a serious problem with my iPhone.

When I use the camera app to shoot a video sequence there is (almost) so sound. You just hear white noise and the real sound is almost unhearable quiet. Tried it with the internal mic as well as with an external mic. But! If i use the voice memo tool - the audio recorder - the sound is excellent. Loud, clear and crisp.

Anybody an idea whats wrong? Why does the camera fail to record the sound whilst the audiorecorder just does it perfectly.

I called Apple Support. Despite the fact the guy on the phone did not seem to have understood what I described, he just said, i should reset it to factory settings and if tah wont helf I could send it in for having it checked for as little as 160 Euros.

Can anybody help?

Greetings

Andreas

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 3:28 AM

12 replies

Mar 27, 2012 3:41 AM in response to lerg media

Hi Andreas,

I have had the same issue before (iPhone 4) and although it's probably not the best solution you're after, here's what you can do.

Back up and restore your iPhone (which fixes most of my iPhone issues)

If the sound recording problem persists in the camera app, it's best to take your iPhone to your local repair/service centre and they should replace it for you (free of charge, providing that your iPhone is still under warranty, otherwise, they will charge you the €160)

For my personal case, lucky enough, I only had that particular iPhone for a few days and they replaced it for me on the spot. Hope this helps!

88kin

Mar 28, 2012 1:39 AM in response to 88kin

I dont have anything against paying for a repair, if something is broken. But here - in my opinion - something is just goofed up with the software. It cant be a hardware-problem, as the internal and an external microfon are recodring a perfect sound, when I use the audiorecorder-app that comes with iOS. Just (and only) the camera app does not record sound when videofilming. So it cant be an hardware-issue with the microsphone which also works perfectly when making a phonecall or skyping.

Regards

Andreas

May 31, 2012 3:36 PM in response to lerg media

I have a iPhone 4 for the past 1 1/2 years. I am now on my 3rd phone for the same problem! I have to go to the store again to get it replaced because the sound stopped working on video. It's definitely a software problem. I wish Apple would figure it out. I raised so much fuss last time that they gave it to me in writing if it happens again even if it is out of warranty they will replace it. Here we go again! They told me they had never heard of this problem. Just for fun I googled this problem and before I finished typing it, it came up. It seems quite a few people have the same problem. I do a lot of video's so maybe that is why it has happened to me so many times. I do love my iPhone just not this problem though! Good luck!

Mar 16, 2013 7:13 PM in response to lerg media

OK...Try this, it just worked for me...

1. Get some headphones and plug em in

2. Play sum tunes on ur phone and ensure you can hear them thru the phones

3. adjust volume and when you see the volume bar, set it to the very middle (just for clarity)

4. Unplug de phones

5. You should see the volume bar jump to the left - adjust it and hey presto!

I figure I managed to mute it by accident, but for some reason the volume bar for the internal speakers and expternal speakers are two different things.

Hope that helps out there. If it does please check out my new web site, I would appreciate the feedback on how it looks.

www.austindogbutler.com

Filming video with iPhone camera app has no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.