Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone disconnects from wifi when plugged into Dock.

I used up my data plan very quickly in the last 2 days because the iPhone would not stay connected to Wi-Fi when I was streaming music form SkyFM through my new docked speakers. I had read that the iPhone was supposed to keep its Wi-Fi connection when plugged in but this does not appear to be true. The phone is a 3GS running iOS 5.1 (regretably) which by the way has slowed the phone to a crawl even worse than iOS 4 had.

If anyone can suggest a way to keep the phone on Wi-Fi while docked would be great. I cannot afford a hugh data bill.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 9:44 AM

13 replies

Mar 27, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Djice00

I have the same problem, and I will post here, we are 2 with problem. My iphone 3GS too turn off wireless when sleep or in dock, and I have lost my data plan in less than 1 week... I my older smartphone android, I dont have this problem.

And the utilization, is exactly in then time of the night, I am sleep. In one day, 82MB used, I think was icloud.

Mar 28, 2012 4:20 AM in response to moahrs

Any1 know about this ? dont have how solve this problem ? Is a big problem, I think.

The 1 solution that I founded, is turn off mobile data, but is vry dificult, because have 2 or 3 menus to access before turn on/off mobile data.

When I turn off mobile data, my phone stay 24h in wifi, and in this case, the problem not in my wifi router, because my phone stay in wifi all time, and not disable wifi radio in this case.

ty a lot

moacir jr.

Apr 9, 2012 9:26 AM in response to moahrs

Ridiculous. RidiculousSolution to a problem Ridiculous, that any android solved the centuries years ago.

I need turn off my celular data to force my iPhone 3GS to use wifi IN MY HOUSE, this is ridiculous.

Honestly, I expected much more from a company like Apple, especially attention, respect and respond to our problems.

Att,

Moacir Jr.

Apr 9, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Sk8Dreams

New information for me Sk8Dreams, thank you, I never observe this, but even so, it is impractical, because when I only put to charge my iPhone in my office, or at night before "I" sleep rssssss
If the iPhone really does it, its is a "dumb" politics, almost authoritarian, because who should decide when to use the wifi or not its me, and not the apple, but if they force us to do this without even a option, it is terrible.
I love the iPhone too, is a hundred times better than the android in many ways, but at least a little more freedom in the configuration, we should have, provided that such freedom does not interfere with other aspects of the iPhone.

I will observe this aspect, if wifi only works all time if iPhone is docked.

Again, grateful for the response.

Jun 21, 2012 12:20 PM in response to Djice00

Same problem with the 4S, but I don't do anything in the night with the phone and iCloud can't synch if wifi is disconnected... It does not happen all the time but sometimes when my phone is charging I see that it is on 3G. OS problem I think because I saw someone else with an iPhone 4 with this issue, and here 3GS and me on 4S.

Jul 25, 2012 8:08 PM in response to Djice00

Sorry about the late reply,

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 (we are now on the family plan with 6GB a month in total). I found that while I was streaming services like podcasts, pandora, and the like, my iPhone stays connected to wifi even while asleep. It should be doing the same if you are streaming content and already on a wifi network.

My iPhone disconnects from wifi when plugged into Dock.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.