Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot re-download purchased magazines to my new iPad, error messages 4032, etc...

I religiously back upped my iPad 2 to iTunes prior to selling it and purchasing the new iPad (3). When activating iPad I restored my backup from iTunes. Of the many managzines I regularly purchase through Newstand and separately on the iPad, certain magazines were able to re-download purchased content, while others either were not able to even though they show as having been purchased, and some were not shown as having been purchased altogether.

Examples error messages for Newstand magazines showing up in my library that I attempt but are unable to re-download are:

Car and Driver Magazine: Issue Feb 2012

Automobile Magazine: Issue December 2011

House & Home Magazine: Issues Nov. 2011, Jan. 2012, Feb. 2012, March 2012, April 2012

All these magazines return this error message when attempting to redownload - "An error occurred. Uable to retreive issue information (4032)."

Esquire Magazine: Issues Oct. 2010, Nov. 2010, Dec. 2010, Jan. 2011, Feb. 2011, March 2011, April 2011

This magazine returns the error message: "Download in progress Another issue is being processed, please wait until all items are installed to download a new issue."

Newsweek Magazine: Issues May 17 2010, June 14 2010, June 28 2010 & July 5 2010, Nov. 27 2010, Oct. 11 2010, Oct. 18 2010, Oct. 10 2011

This magazine returns the error message: "Cannot Install Item Please restart the app and download your purchase again."

Example of purchased magazines outside of Newstand showing as purchased that cannot be re-downloaded are:

Time Magazine: Oct. 17, 2011 (many other issues purchased not even showing up as having been purchased)

Example of purchased magazines outside of Newstand not showing as having been purchased:

Fortune Magazine: Aug. 15 2010

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:04 AM

10 replies

Apr 1, 2012 4:31 AM in response to clydec

I am having the same issue with Men's Health, April 2012 issue.

"Cannot Install Item Please restart the app and download your purchase again"

Very disappointing that Newsstand subscriptions are not synced with iPad backup and restored when upgrading.

We don't have high-speed internet in Afghanistan. Being able to download magazines that we can't always buy is great, but have to let download run for hours and keep iPad awake... That was bad enough, but then to have to download EVERYTHING again because we upgrade??? Come on Apple!

Then the error: "Cannot Install Item Please restart the app and download your purchase again"

So now can't even download what's already paid for?

Apr 4, 2012 11:00 AM in response to bdrake47

Having the same problem, except on a brand new item I tried to download. When I purchased the mag (Newsweek) it downloaded about halfway then gave up and told me to restart the app and download again. No amount of quitting application or restart the whole ipad will change this either. Funny enough other ones that I downloaded for testing (free issues) downloaded just fine. Definitely waiting for a solution to this problem.

Apr 4, 2012 12:13 PM in response to ICEGot

I have been in contact with 2 separate Apple Technical Support Advisors about these issues and I'm still waiting for feedback from them regarding these problems. One of them was able to recreate the problem involving the error message "4032" that I have Automobile Magazine, Car and Driver Magazine, and House and Home Magazine. I have also been in contact with iTunes Support and have requested a refund but I have yet to hear back from them.

Apr 9, 2012 6:46 PM in response to Niknath

Dear Nikki,

No, my problem has not as yet been solved. I have been communicating with Apple Tech who are still looking into the matter, but my frustration reached a new level yesterday because I received a response from the iTunes Store regarding my issue which was totally unrelated to my problem and made me wonder if I am communicating with a machine or a person. I am expecting a call back from Apple Tech within the next 30 minutes to hopefully shed more light on my issues but barring that I may decide to return my new iPad to Best Buy because unlike my previous iPad 2, this one just seems to be more trouble than its worth.

Jul 1, 2012 12:01 PM in response to clydec

I am havng the same issue with People magazine in Newstand. I bought one magazine and it downloaded fine. Then I subscribed and was able to download a second magazine. But now I am getting Unable to retrieve issue information (4032). I was in touch with Apple and the reply was ridiculous as it was geared toward iTunes on a computer and not the app on the iPad. Very frustrating...Will just ask for my money back. Not worth the hassle. Brand new iPad 3. Was looking forward to getting magazines this way. Never again.

Jul 10, 2012 5:32 PM in response to clydec

YAY!!!

I contacted the magazine direct (SFI) and they gave me instruction on how to get my magazines back. I'll try to explain as well as I can.

1. Deleat the magazine app from your ipad.

2. Re-download the app to your ipad.

3. DO NOT go into subscriptions and try to download or "Transfer" your subscriptions!!!!!

4. Go into the buy section.

5. You will need to re-download every magazine again.

6. Don't be concerned about it showing a price, as when you click on it, it says you have already purchased this and do you want to down-load again? Click yes.

7. Your magazine should start to down-load again.

I know this is not the best way to get your mags back as it takes a lot of time and download megs, but it was the only way I found that worked.

Hope it works for you too 🙂

Sep 29, 2014 12:26 AM in response to clydec

I have the same problem. Most of the magazines I purchased and downloaded are not opening up anymore. So unpleasant to think that you have something and realise that you actually don't. I tried removing the magazine from the stand and downloading it again, but that didn't help. Have you found a solution to your problem?

Cannot re-download purchased magazines to my new iPad, error messages 4032, etc...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.