Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no flash on the new iPad for taking pictures at night

As awesome as the new iPad is why are they intentionally neglecting to put a flash on the camera for taking photos at night?This retina display has the most attractive photo that I've ever seen on any device but suffers in a major way because taking photos at night lacks a flash so we can actually see who is in the picture!

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 1:40 PM

13 replies

Apr 8, 2012 1:43 PM in response to Carternite

No Flash for iPads, iPhones, or iPods

Here's why there's is no Flash available for iDevices or other mobile devices. Adobe was unable to provide a product that was suitable to the needs of battery powered mobile devices used for Internet browsing. Existing Flash technology used too much memory, ate battery life, and was buggy. Simply put Flash did not work well on mobile devices.

Apple's Steve Jobs led the escape from Flash dependency when Apple introduced the iPhone, and later introduced the iPad. There was a hue and cry over the omission. Time proved Jobs was right on target.

So this is why there is no Flash for your iPhone or iPad or iPod nor for most SmartPhones. Flash has been abandoned by many sites in favor of supported technologies such as HTML5 or by providing their own custom app.

Here is Steve Jobs official comment on his momentous decision to omit Flash from iDevices: Steve Jobs on Flash.

Here is Adobe's later announcement to cease development of Flash for mobile devices: Adobe on Mobile Flash.

Now, you are not necessarily out on a limb. There are some apps that can display some Flash, but don't count on there ability to display anything using Flash.

Apps that can display some Flash from the Web:

• Puffin
  • SkyFire
  • Photon Flash
  • Browse2Go
  • iSwifter

Also, note that many sites that use Flash provide their own app for accessing their material. So check with your favorite sites and find out if "there's an app for that."

Apr 8, 2012 5:19 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

The last time I checked cell phones where equipped with a flash for night photos and with the evolution of these devices the more that they do for the money that we pay the better!It just seems only right to fully equip these super tablets so they can be all in one devices.don't you think it would be a nice feature with this beautiful retina display?

Apr 8, 2012 5:30 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

That argument might work if Apple omitted flash on iPhone, but from iPhone 4 forward, iPhones have a had a flash.

To the OP, it was likely a financial decision. If you think about it, iPad is not exactly convenient to hold as a camera. It's not stable held as a camera and people have dropped their iPad trying to take pictures, then complain bitterly when their iPads are damaged. Now I guess I could be in violation of forum rules as I am clearly conjecturing on this, but when you consider the screen on the New iPad has to cost more than iPad 2, the battery has to cost more. The processor has to cost more, yet Apple didn't raise the price, not even by a penny. So, if I were Apple and I was building a more expensive device, I would likely have to make some decisions about adding even more, but keeping the price the same. Not having a flash for the camera for a device that isn't really designed to be a camera and isn't really stable as one, seems like a logical decision.

Just my .02 worth.........

Nov 24, 2012 2:31 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I have to completely disagree. First, just because.....let's say the average person may recognize the iPad as somewhat unstable as a camera, does not mean they shouldn't expect to not only use it as a camera but that its design would at least include one of the most basic features of a camera i.e. "a flash". Why wouldn't they. When its been advertised so extensively on all the great camera features wasn't that a huge selling point going from iPad 2 to iPad 3? They obviously wanted people to use it as a camera, look what they put into it. They have done an excellent job. It's a wonderful camera. In the daytime. Furthermore the stability doesn't apply here because as far as daytime pictures go it does an excellent job. I expect to get a clear vivid picture whether I'm a little shaky or not, and I do get a great picture regardless. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound argumentative but it kinda sounds like your saying "one" should not expect too much out of the iPad for its camera features due to the fact that its not meant to take the place of a camera. I think that's exactly what they intended. To create an "all-in-one" and they made sure to be very competitive in the design, so that people WOULD/COULD feel confident enough to use it in place of the typical camera. Again I'm not trying to be combative, I guess I was just hoping for a better answer from you. Because I too am a little baffled as to why they put so much into the camera yet left it without a flash. I would still like to understand why.

Why is there no flash on the new iPad for taking pictures at night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.