Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage is waiting for activation. Please help!

Please help me!

I keep getting "waiting for activation" on my iMessage. I can only send/receive iMessage from my email address, NOT my phone number.

Under Receive at, my phone number isn't listed at all and I have no way of adding it.

I've checked under setting > phone > my number. And the phone # is listed correctly. (I live in Indonesia so it's +62xxxxx).

And I'm not sure if this is connected or not, but under setting > phone > show my caller ID, the ON button is greyed out.

A little history & weird problems I encountered:

My iPhone 4S was stolen about a month ago (I'm still ****** about it).I did a remote wipe on it and I figured the person who stole is has thrown away the SIM card because the number isn't active anymore.

So I just bought a brand new iPhone 4S and a new number again. I synced it to iTunes and upgraded it to iOS 5.1 then I did a restore from my old back up. Everything was fine except for the iMessage. It shows "waiting for actvation". When I tap under Receive At, the email address is listed as well as my OLD phone number (the one that was stolen). It was greyed out and the status was "verying" which later turned to "error". I have no way of editing or removing that old number. When I connect my iPhone to iTunes, the phone # was shown as n/a on iTunes, but after 30 mins or so, it will appear.

So I did a restore again and this time set is as a new iPhone. The old phone number is now gone, but only my email address is listed. I can't input my phone number there.

I have done all kind of fixing suggestions that I can find online, but nothing works so far.

- Date & time set as automatic (I don't know why this matter, but mine was already set as automatic from the begining)

- Reset network setting

- Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8.

- Restore to factory setting (from back up & as new iPhone)

- Turning on/off iMessage & facetime

- Sign out/in of apple ID

- Change location from apple ID

- Hard reset/reboot

And many others.

Is this an error on my iPhone or maybe the iOS or is it the carrier?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 9:23 PM

5 replies

Apr 8, 2012 11:37 PM in response to moosquare

hi moosquare,

curently im live in indonesia too,

most of my friends had the same problem as you, specialy when they using pre paid card,

which provider do you use.? (indosat, telkomsel,XL or Axis) do you use pre paid or post paid card.?

the problem is more like to the provider issues, not on your iphone software or hardware issues,

because the iphone is trying to activate the imessage number to your provider, but there is no response from your provider regarding the activation,

try these steps :

- input your phone number (settings -> phone -> my number)

or input via itunes (in your devide information section)

if the problem still exist call your provider customer services centre or take a visit to the nearest customer services office,

i hope that will helped you,

Cheers,

Apr 8, 2012 11:51 PM in response to adithya

Hi adithya

I'm using a prepaid Telkomsel flash because I was told this is the fastest for internet (and the most expensive too). It has more than enough credit in the card to do phone call / text / internet.

On my previous iPhone I was using a prepaid Telkomsel card as well and it worked perfectly.

I read from the Telkomsel website and it only suggested a Simpati and Halo prepaid card. Perhaps I will try that later on and see if it works.

I did input my phone number under setting > phone > my number, but still no iMessage activation.

Thanks for the input! I'll try changing carriers. 🙂

Apr 9, 2012 8:58 AM in response to moosquare

Hi guys,

I keep getting "waiting for activation" on my iMessage. I can only send/receive iMessage from my email address, NOT my phone number.

I have done all kind of fixing suggestions that I can find online, but nothing works so far.

- Date & time set as automatic (I don't know why this matter, but mine was already set as automatic from the begining)

- Reset network setting

- Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8.

- Restore to factory setting (from back up & as new iPhone)

- Turning on/off iMessage & facetime

- Sign out/in of apple ID

- Change location from apple ID

- Hard reset/reboot

And many others.

...me too. I'm in Portugal having the same issue!! Hopefuly Apple will give us a solution, shortly...

iMessage is waiting for activation. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.