Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move photo's from camera roll to photo stream

I am confused. I have a number of photo's in Camera Roll. They apparantly do not back up to iCloud as part of Photo Stream. Is there a way to move them from Camera Roll to Photo Stream so they will be available to my other devices, or do I have to manually copy them to my desktop to make them available? If the latter, what is the best process for this?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1, Sprint

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2012 2:27 PM

Work around: first view the pic on your camera roll, then snapshot it by using home and sleep button at same time. Your pic is at photo stream now :)

25 replies

May 7, 2012 2:39 PM in response to LDMartin1959

Only photos taken on your phone after turning on Photo Stream are uploaded. It will not transfer photos that were in Camera Roll before turning it on. If you want full resolution pictures to be available for your old photos, import them to your computer and put them in your upload folder (assuming your computer has iCloud an Photo Stream enabled). Also, Photo Stream isn't a backup service; photos are only kept there for 30 days allowing your enough time to download them to your other devices.

May 28, 2012 10:11 AM in response to randers4

randers4 wrote:

Only photos taken on your phone after turning on Photo Stream are uploaded. It will not transfer photos that were in Camera Roll before turning it on. If you want full resolution pictures to be available for your old photos, import them to your computer and put them in your upload folder (assuming your computer has iCloud an Photo Stream enabled). Also, Photo Stream isn't a backup service; photos are only kept there for 30 days allowing your enough time to download them to your other devices.

I have images/videos which I saved from Messages. Even with Photo Stream enabled, it does not appear possible to move anything from Camera Roll. Once there, it appears to be stuck there.

kursatkaraca wrote:

Work around: first view the pic on your camera roll, then snapshot it by using home and sleep button at same time. Your pic is at photo stream now 🙂

Two problems with that are that the images are not captured at their original resolution. Also, this does absolutely no good for videos which are saved from Messsages.

Aug 10, 2012 8:42 AM in response to LDMartin1959

it's possible to save an image from Photo Stream to Camera Roll. Go to the Photo Stream album, tap on an individual image, then the share/export icon in the bottom left marked by the rectangle with the arrow (don't confuse with AirPlay icon), then select Save to Camera Roll, the bottom-most option.

But you can follow this step by step guide about How to transfer or copy photos from iPhone to computer. It's easy to understand and works pretty well for my iPhone.

Aug 13, 2012 9:00 AM in response to LDMartin1959

Oh, it's easier than that. Connect your iPhone to your PC via the USB charging cable. Open PC Folders and double click on the iPhone. Just keep double clicking through all the sub folders and hey presto - there's your Camera Roll photos.

I don't have any films, music or anything else on my phone right now, but I presume they'll show up too. It doesn't show apps or Outlook info though.

Comments would be appreciated from anyone trying this with lots loaded on their phone.

Aug 13, 2012 10:23 AM in response to LDMartin1959

The Camera Roll will automatically move to Photo Stream if:

1) Photo Stream is in the "on" position. (Not insulting anyone, just including the direction in case as I do not believe it is a default setting.)

2) IPhone is connected to WiFi. It will not move them if not connected. 3G does not allow the move. This is where most people have problems. Once connected wait a few minutes as it takes a bit for them to start showing.

3) Make sure other devices like iPad and Mac have photo stream turned on as well so they appear on those too.

Note: Sometimes there is a delay in how fast the files move due to their size.

Hope that helps.

Feb 24, 2013 4:32 AM in response to LDMartin1959

I have the same problem - my iphone 4S has failed to transfer photos from its camera roll to photostream. The only reason I can think is because the photos were taken whilst wifi was turned off on the device? I have been out of wifi coverage so turned it off to conserve battery life. Having turned it back on, any photos I take from now on are being transferred BUT not the ones before.

Anyone else had this?

Mar 24, 2013 3:11 PM in response to LDMartin1959

Plug your iphone into the wall and turn the phone off. Then turn it back on after a minute or two. When you restart your phone open the Photo Stream. You should see a little wheel turning and the camera roll photos will start to appear in Photo Stream one by one. The phone needs to be connected to WiFi while you are doing this. By turning the phone off while plugged in to the jack it somehow resets the new information you put on your phone i.e. new photos in camera roll, then connects the info to icloud. Then the images will also appear on your laptop or other devises that have Photo Stream too. That's why you have a bunch of photos in Photo Stream from the past, at some point you turned your phone off and recharged it and didn't realize it was loading the photos at the same time. good luck!

move photo's from camera roll to photo stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.