Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Controlling Apple TV volume w/ Remote app

I love using the Remote app to control my Apple TV. But, there's no volume slider at the bottom. I believe this functionality is supposed to there. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Geoff Palmer

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:24 AM

23 replies

Jun 12, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Geoff Palmer

Okay.... so I have installed sets of ceiling speakers, in two different rooms. One set is ran off my old Apple TV (3rd Gen - Kitchen/Diner) and the other is for Living room (New Apple TV (4th Gen) into TV also). So I don't really want to use my TV audio even though I like that Apple have added a remote learning tool. My Apple TV's are in an AV cupboard in a different room both are ran through an audio stripper where the audio is fed into an Amp for the speakers..... so.... a remote app volume function would benefit me GREATLY thank you very much as I don't want to stream films to my Apple TV as it seems kind of pointless just so I can control volume..... especially as performance on HD films wavers a little when streaming from iPhone.... the argument regarding source units don't normally have volume control is poor by the way as the very remote that comes with Apple TV has volume control? so why no the App?

Jun 12, 2017 10:13 AM in response to vazandrew

Hi....

....my point was referring to a comment regarding DVD's and other HiFi systems that have remotes, not really due to IR control or HDMI CEC...... I get your point but it seems that the iPhone when streaming video to the Apple TV can increase volume from the source video, surely the Apple TV can increase the audio track on the source video from it's own streaming? Maybe Apple have overlooked this, it's more of a case that I overlooked the audio control within my install and didn't allow for this control assuming it would be possible with the App.... i'll have to look at incorporating an AV switcher with audio control perhaps! Maybe the HomePod will help my case when its released!! Although i'd have to link that to the audio system somehow.... oh well.... back to the drawing board! thanks for your reply tho.

Jun 12, 2017 10:17 AM in response to vazandrew

just on your point about CEC over the HDMI, its not actually true in my case, my Apple TV is in a separate room and the volume only works when using the learn IR remote tool within the new 4th Gen Apple TV.... volume control wasn't possible before this.... by pointing the remote at the TV the remote learned the IR signals of my TV.... all other functions for the Apple TV are via wifi.... in my case.

Jun 12, 2017 3:24 PM in response to DYE5Y

Yes, IR control is also possible but the point was that the physical remote is not controlling the volume of the connected TV or receiver using that protocol and doing so via the app won't be possible.

The home pod will be able to connect directly to the ATV and will be airplay 2 capable (for taking advantage of multi-room audio)

Apr 19, 2012 12:03 PM in response to Geoff Palmer

My point is that there is a difference between someone thinking it is a good idea and expecting it to be a feature. If you think it is a good idea then leave feedback with Apple, however I am not sure it is a point about which you should complain, because the notion of not having a volume control on the source device seems quite normal to me.

This is a user to user community, Apple are unlikely to read your comments, if you have any suggestions that you think might enhance the Apple TV you can send Apple your feedback here.

May 25, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Geoff Palmer

Using the iPad, at any rate, with the Remote app, you only get the volume slider in Remote if you've intially selected your iTunes library rather than Apple TV in the Remote main screen - the one with the blue background showing an image of the Apple TV box and another of the iTunes icon (musical note in blue circle). If you first choose Apple TV and then opt to access your iTunes library, there is no volume slider in the Remote app. But if you've first selected iTunes from the Remote main screen and then (using the AirPlay selector) opt for Apple TV rather than Computer speakers, the Remote app will show the volume slider.

Controlling Apple TV volume w/ Remote app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.