Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPhone 4 as a disk drive and iCloud

I bought an iPhone 4.

I read the manual and understood that iCloud has a capability to store files (though I am not sure if it is talking about any files from computer or just the files manageable in iPhone). So I tried to access the iCloud. It asks me for an apple ID. But when I try to use my currently active apple ID it says, "UNSUPPORTED APPLE ID, iCloud requires an Apple ID that is an email address." When I created an Apple ID a few years ago, I made it same as my Yahoo email address, just without the <<@yahoo.com>> part.

So I had to create a new Apple ID just to use the iCloud. I entered all my information including my email address. But the system tells me, "INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS, This Apple ID is already being used. If this is your account, reset a forgotten password at iforgot.apple.com."...Hey, I am sorry, but I haven't forgotten my password. The system doesn't allow me to sign in using my existing ID. And then, when I try to create a new ID, it doesn't allow me to create a new one because my email is already used. What am I supposed to do in this case? Can any one help me?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mongolian Key

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:03 AM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Julian Wright

OK, I was able to create an apple ID in the format of email address and was able to sign into iCloud from my iPhone. But when I tried to log in to Apple > Community support with that ID, it says that I can't use that ID because it has the same email account associated as my currently logged in ID. Seems like it is some complicated matter resulting from the Apple's security policies that were later added. I know that I created this apple ID in the format of email address before 2006. Then few years later I forgot my password and created the second apple ID from which I am writing this discussion. At that time it allowed me to create the second apple ID under the same email address. But now something has changed and it won't allow me to sign in with my initial apple ID.

To make a long story short, lets just ask my question. I have a Macbook with OS X 10.5, which I guess is the Leopard version. But iCloud requires the Lion OS. Does that mean I can't use iCloud without buying the Lion OS? Is there any alternative method to transfer files to my iPhone from my Mac? I work on two computers simultaneously, one is a Macbook and the other is a PC. The main reason I am asking this question is to find out a way to use my iPhone 4 as a disk drive so I can transfer files from Mac to PC and vice versa. Sometimes I transfer large sizes of photo folders and USB memory cards are too small or unavailable.

Using iPhone 4 as a disk drive and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.