Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Online video playback is severally laggy/choppy on my macbook pro 2011?

hey guys, got a bit of an issue here. I've been noticing some SEVERE lagging issues whilst viewing online (streaming) video, from various sites, including, novamov, youtube, and others. the videos rarely stop to buffer as i have a fast connection, but yet they still seem to lag wildly. what i mean by this, is the sound will continue as normal, the the picture will freeze sometimes for a good 5 seconds or so before resuming, this is happening increasingly more and more..

i am running Mac OSX Lion (latest Update) on my:

MacBook Pro

17-inch, Early 2011

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

If it helps my hard drive space is:

Macintosh HD

Capacity: 664 GB

Available: 179.79 GB

The browser i am using is the latest version of Safari, although i have tried firefox and chrome and i experience the same issue.

I have Sophos anti-virus installed and run regular scans on my system (all clear)

i really can't think of anything else which could be causing an issue here. I haven't installed any additional software for a while, not in the time frame since the error started to occur.

I am quite surprised to be experiencing such issues as lagging on something as simple as a youtube video when my £3000+ computer handles heavy applications such as Final cut pro and Photoshop with ease...

i MUST be missing something here,

I really would appreciate any help i can get here.

thankyou very much for your time

ben

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 3:48 PM

11 replies

Apr 26, 2012 5:07 PM in response to bcusick

Hi Ben...

I am quite surprised to be experiencing such issues as lagging on something as simple as a youtube video

Try troubleshooting the Flash plugin required for most YouTube video.

Quit all open browsers. I'm using Safari as a test.

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Storage tab. Click: Delete All

Now uninstall the Flash plugin then reinstall new > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Make sure and uninstall the current plugin first.

Then launch Safari. From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

Now try a video.

BTW... if you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. It can also be installed as a plugin in /Library/Internet-Plug-Ins.

And check to see if Safari is running in 32 bit mode. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. If the box next to: Open in 32 bit mode is selected, deselect, quit then relaunch Safari.

edited by: cs

Apr 30, 2012 5:36 AM in response to bcusick

Ben

I am having the exact same problem with my brand new iMac.

Early 2012

2.7GHz intel core i5

4gb 1333 DDR3 ram

AMD Radeon HD 6770m graphics

Mac os x lion 10.7.3

I only just really started noticing this problem. YouTube lags extremely on my computer. You can skip through a video only to have it restart. More often than not the audio is very out of sync and sometimes it freezes safari while audio can still be heard. I really hope this issue gets resolved. You're not alone though.

Fred

Nov 15, 2012 2:56 PM in response to bcusick

I had this same problem, choppy video on YouTube and other sites such as Comedy Central. It seems to have been solved by uninstalling Flash Player and installing an older version. I am using an iMac and the Safari browser. As far as I can tell, the version of Flash I had before was 11.5.xxx, the most recent one. I uninstalled it using the Flash uninstall application available on the Flash website. I then installed version 10.3, also available on the Flash website (google "flash old versions"). This seems to have fixed the problem.

Dec 3, 2012 11:36 AM in response to bcusick

Hello,

I have been having the same issues and I've tried all the solutions listed in all these replies. I also tried the link with the Terminal solution with no luck. All my online video playback is choppy, fozen, sound out of sync etc.

I edit with Final Cut Pro, After Affects, view files in Quicktime etc. and there are no playback issues there.

My details:

- OSX 10.5.8

- deinstalled Flash

- reinstalled Flash (older version option)

- left Youtube's HTML5 beta test

- rejoined Youtube's HTML5 beta test

Nothing has worked so far....any new solutions out there?!

Jun 13, 2014 6:37 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hey Carolyn,

Worked a treat, de-jaggy video for first time in months!!! Only point of clarification, I manually deleted the Flash plug-in before I uninstalled Flash. Don't know if this was why it worked for me rather than others but hey ...

Thanks again!

Jody

Carolyn Samit

Hi Ben...

I am quite surprised to be experiencing such issues as lagging on something as simple as a youtube video

Try troubleshooting the Flash plugin required for most YouTube video.

Quit all open browsers. I'm using Safari as a test.

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Storage tab. Click: Delete All

Now uninstall the Flash plugin then reinstall new > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Make sure and uninstall the current plugin first.

Then launch Safari. From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

Now try a video.

BTW... if you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. It can also be installed as a plugin in /Library/Internet-Plug-Ins.

And check to see if Safari is running in 32 bit mode. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. If the box next to: Open in 32 bit mode is selected, deselect, quit then relaunch Safari.

edited by: cs

Online video playback is severally laggy/choppy on my macbook pro 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.