Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiving a "There is not enough disk space available to install the product" error in App store while I clearly have enough space?

I am attempting to purchase Dues Ex: Human Revolution which requires 17GB to run, I currently have 27.34GB free.

Even though I have 10GB more than the required space I still get the "There is not enough disk space available to install the product"

Any ideas?

App Store-OTHER

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 9:49 PM

HI...

You need at the very least 15% free disk space. More if possible. Definitely not enough free space to install a 17GB app.

OSX Tips Where did my Disk Space go?

Freeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac GuidesFreeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac Guides

And make sure your Mac meets the app's minimum requirements which according to the App Store is Mac OS X 10.7.3 or later under Information right side of the App Store window.

edited by: cs

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2012 9:49 PM in response to BJonsson

HI...

You need at the very least 15% free disk space. More if possible. Definitely not enough free space to install a 17GB app.

OSX Tips Where did my Disk Space go?

Freeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac GuidesFreeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac Guides

And make sure your Mac meets the app's minimum requirements which according to the App Store is Mac OS X 10.7.3 or later under Information right side of the App Store window.

edited by: cs

Jul 7, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have 66.7GB of 120GB free on a MacBook Pro, and I _still_ get told there is not enough free disk space. Even with a hard requirement of 15% free space (18GB), that leaves 48.7GB of space that's somehow "not enough" for a 15.5GB app.

This is a **bug** in the App Store. The _least_ the App Store should do is tell you how much space you need to free up. The current message is useless.

<rant>Worse, I have a network drive available with 163GB on it. Even if the temporary download files somehow needed more than 33GB of space (how?!), there's plenty of room. But, no. Apple doesn't use external hard drives. For anything. It just staggers belief that Apple can sell computers with measly little hard drives and then suddenly decide it's OK to force _everything_ to be on that one drive. If they're going to decide they know better than me how to manage my computer, they could at least not be brain-dead about it.</rant>

Jul 7, 2012 7:27 PM in response to rtli-

rtli --

I hope you feel better now.

We are other Mac users here, helping each other find solutions.

And rants are specifically against the terms of use here.

If and when you would appreciate some help by people who volunteer their time to help others,

take a deep breath, and ditch the attitude.

There may very well be glitch in the App Store. If so, that's something that we can contact the Hosts about, and ask them to look into it for us.

Aug 25, 2012 5:38 AM in response to BJonsson

I got the error, deleted stuff, same error, deleted more stuff, same error, deleted more stuff until it got ridiculous, same error.

Turns out, the error is nothing to do with disk space. Well, not in my case.

I rebooted the Mac, then re-started the App Store to try again. I was asked to accept some new iTunes terms and conditions. Then everything worked.

Aug 2, 2016 12:38 AM in response to BJonsson

tl;dr: try temporarily turning off your Time Machine backup if you encounter this disk space error in the App Store and seem to have enough free disk space.

I ran into this issue today and thought I would post the solution that worked for me. The situation: trying to download a 13GB app from the App Store. I kept receiving the "There is not enough disk space to install the product," even though I had 25GB free.

I moved files onto an external drive to free up 55GB of space (as reported by Finder), but I was still receiving the error in the App Store.

I looked under "About this Mac" > Storage to see if I was keeping any local Time Machine backups. Sure enough, there were 33GB of local Time Machine backups shown in purple.

I turned off Time Machine in system preferences, which eliminated all of the purple in the storage listing and changed my free disk space to ~44GB (yes, it decreased).

But when I tried to download the app from the App Store, it worked like a charm.

Receiving a "There is not enough disk space available to install the product" error in App store while I clearly have enough space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.