Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the fix to the IPad 2 randomly opening apps and typing jibberish?

My IPad 2 keeps randomly opening other apps and then typing jibberish. I see that many others have experienced this problem. What is the solution?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 3, 2012 6:54 AM

25 replies

May 3, 2012 7:50 AM in response to susankolo

Either you have a hardware problem... That will only get fixed by a trip to the genius, or you just need to reboot because of some system glitch. Are you on the current iOS? If not, do the upgrade, and reinstalling the os might cure the issue.

If you are current, and you have already turned it off and on... Then do a fresh sync.

Sometimes there is a problem in the screen, and if that is what you have, then you will need to swap out your machine. Hopefully your are still under warrenty.

Post back when you get it resolved.

May 10, 2012 8:13 PM in response to susankolo

Did you try cleaning the screen? Turn off your iPad. Get a damp paper towel and wring out all the water that you can by sqeezing over the sink. Once it's no longer dripping wet, then wipe the screen on your iPad with the damp cloth really well and optionally dry it with a dry cloth or towel. Turn on your iPad and see if that fixes the problem.

May 11, 2012 7:23 AM in response to katlynm

I never received any useful help on this situation. There have been many discussions surrounding this whole problem with no posted resolution except the unit had to be replaced. I spoke to Apple Support on the phone and personally I was turned off by their response to me and acted like I was unique. Clearly I am not unique and you can locate the many, many people who have experienced this very thing. Apple does not seem to care about posting a resolution to its customers or producing a fix. Their only suggestion to the problem is to set up an appointment and get it replaced. If you review other postings you will see that one guy has had unit replaced three times!! It is hike for me to get to an Apple store, but that does not seem to matter. Bad APPLE!!

May 11, 2012 7:31 AM in response to susankolo

Whoa!? They are offering straight up to replace the unit for you and your response is "Bad APPLE"? What exactly is it you want them to do? And BTW, they have no control over where you live and the fact that it is a "hike" to get to an Apple store.

While your experience with this may very well not be unique, it is also VERY far from being typical. Evidently Apple has offered a fix for you. If you choose not to take them up on it, that's on you.

Good luck.

May 11, 2012 8:14 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Back up just a second James! They have not offered to replace my IPad because I have been unable to get to the Apple Store. It would require me to take the day off work. I will have to plan this into my schedule. My statement behind Apple not being supportive is that they had no offereings for a fix. After so many have been brought back in and replaced(very expensive) you would think they would indicate to their customers that to try some fixes and if that doesnt resolve the problem, then it is probably a hardware issue and needs replacing. That is not the case! I had to do all the research and question posting to see what some of the fixes have been. And honestly, the only resolution to anyone else's posting of this matter has been a hardware replacement. I dont have a screen cover, I have reset and wiped the system completely, etc. etc. etc.

Do you not agree that in order to not waste people's time, that Apple come out with a statement indicating there have been some issues with the IPad2 that may have some measures to try in a fix and if not resolved the it might require a unit replacement? Yes, give some direction on some fixes and then if that doesnt work, make an appointment with Apple to see if a hardware issue is in place? Customer service in this country has died to the level of everyone becoming their own technician and researcher because a company doesnt want to take the time away from sales to actually provide and "do the right thing" Frankly, Im just sick of it.

May 11, 2012 9:30 AM in response to susankolo

The symptoms you are describing are extremely rare, to the point where there would not likely be any definitive troubleshooting steps targeted to them specifically. There is really nothing for them to publish. Based on the experience of numerous users here , it is speculated that this is a hardware issue. It just doesn't fit an symptoms thus encountered for software problems. No, we don't know that to be the case, but it isn't a bad bet. We can't fix a hardware issue for you be posting online. Only Apple will be able to assist you with.

I'm sorry you are having an issue with you iPad, and I know it is frustrating, but at some point you need to realize you are dealing with a fairly individualized issue and that your options are limited. As far as taking time off from work, Apple store are open in the evening and on weekends.

May 11, 2012 10:42 AM in response to susankolo

Maybe I've missed them but I've not read of any posts except in this thread about the issue you have.

fyi

I have both the original iPad and the new iPad. Both have performed flawlessly.

&

I keep my screen clean and do not use any screen protectors.

Survey after survey for about 10years shows that Apple has been #1 in customer satisfaction by far, so your rant insinuating Apple does not want to do the right thing is way off base.

Work an Apple Store into your weekends schedule.

A Genius there will get your issue resolved.

What is the fix to the IPad 2 randomly opening apps and typing jibberish?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.