Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Testing iPhone ATT carrier unlock with custom config file.

Hi,

I just had my iPhone 4 unlocked by ATT, but how do I test that it is unlocked?

The Apple knowledge base article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198 says that once the iPhone has been unlocked I should get a message in iTunes saying:

"Unlock Complete. Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked. To set up and sync this iPhone, click Continue."

I did not get that message, but neither did I get an error message.

Since ATT's (possible) unlock I have updated the software to 5.1.1, and done a complete backup and restore.

I bought the iPhone used from a friend several months ago, and then created a custom config / profile with Apple iPhone Configuration Utility. This allowed me to use the phone as a Pay As You Go phone on ATT's network, and has worked this way with no problems for the last six months. The phone has not been jailbroken, or unlocked with a third party unlocking tool.

In the next few weeks I will be traveling to the UK where I want to be able to use a local number, but want to make sure that this will work before I travel. How do I test ATT's unlock without a Tmobile micro sim that I dont have?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 7, 2012 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:25 AM

Only way to test it is to put in a mico sim. Visit a T-mobile store to see if they can let you 'test drive' a mico sim.

2 replies

Testing iPhone ATT carrier unlock with custom config file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.