Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4S and iOS 5.1.1 - unable to connect Wifi!

Hello there, frustrating day ... tried Network Resets, Restarts, Forgets etc. But to no avail...

The iphone 4 S does not join the Wifi Network that is clearly visible here, and says unable to join network - what can be done here?

The Wireless router is an Arris model that comes with Comcast / Cable Internet Services.

Many Thanks, and any tips are welcome, short of totally erasing the iphone 4s and restoring a back , we have tried everything,

all other macbooks here connect fine to the Router / Wifi box!

Thanks

c

Posted on May 9, 2012 5:32 PM

15 replies

May 10, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

We tried it, to no avail.. all other devices, including a European Nokia Smartphone can connect fine

to the Comcast Router, something in the iphone 4 S is just not allowing the connection to be made ,

it's very frustrating. I thought ios 5.1.1 would fix it, after the installation, incidentally we cannot

also get into Wifi at Cafes, where the Nokia can get into the wifi...

The Arris Comcast does 802.11b/g/n and is set for WPA2 -PSK, there is also an Apple TV here which is able

to connect to the infrastructure... so this seems specific to the iphone 4S!!

I'm sure other people are seeing this too, Network Resets (3 x) and Reboots all did not clear it up.

c

May 10, 2012 12:43 PM in response to null null416

I too have the same problem. Have done what you have and more. And like you, my router is working just fine, I have other wireless devices that are working just fine, its just the apple ones that refuse to work after this update. I have a wifi signal on my phone, but it will not accept my password, even though it is correct. Good luck with this, I"m still working on mine.

May 11, 2012 7:03 AM in response to null null416

I spend an hour with applecare, and fixed my phone. turn wep or whatever security you have on your wifi off. Reboot router. on phone, reset network connections, hardboot phone. Turn on wifi, make sure your phone shows no security on wifi network, ( the little lock next to your network name is gone). Then see if your phone will connect to your wifi. if it connects its fixed. This is what worked for me. Then go back to your router, enable wep or whatever security level you had, reboot router, and recheck your connection on your phone. Good luck.

May 22, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Golfbrad

Apple will never fix it, as it is a problem with your phone, not with all (or even a significant number) of phones. The problem that jtalk61 has was different from yours. If you cannot connect to any WiFi networks you have either scrambled settings or a failed WiFi chip. Go to Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings. If that fails go to the same place and Reset All Settings. Still not working? Connect to iTunes and Restore the phone.

May 22, 2012 12:23 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks. You're right that my problem is different in that I can connect fine to my 802.11n network but it does not connect to the older 802.11g router or other hotspots. My problem is on iPad. I did try his fix and was ablet to connect to the older router without security but when I reinstated security the iPad lost wifi.

This is a problem across many iPads so I find it hard to believe that they will ignore the problem. This started with the iOS 5.1.1 ipgrade and not before.

Aug 15, 2012 3:41 AM in response to null null416

gUYzz d besT thng u caN do is ...

i) RESTORE UA IPHONE 4S USING ITUNES

click the restore icon in itunes after syncing ua iphone 4s

back up datas optn will b der ...so no worries about the loss of datas

ii) EVEN AFTR RESTORING THE WIFI ICON IS GREYD ON UA IPHONE

settings>general>reset>reset network settings

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM IN IPHON4S

FOLLOW THIS AND SOLVE UA IPHONE ISSUEZZ TOOOO

iphone 4S and iOS 5.1.1 - unable to connect Wifi!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.