Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does GPS (Map) function require internet connection?

I have an Iphone 3G.

Using GPS seems to cost me money every time I access it? (unless I am in a free Wi-Fi area) I assume it connects to the Internet. I did not realise that it needed the internet. I have GPS in my car and it seems to connect with the Satellite immediately. The Iphone does not seem to operate in the same way. Can someone who understands all this let me know if I am right (that it requires Internet). Is there any way around this. For example, if I plan a route using my Iphone in a Wi-Fi Area (my own), when I go outside to follow the route and proceed along the various steps, do I still need an internet connection?.

iPhone 3G

Posted on May 11, 2012 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2012 5:02 AM

yes. either wifi connection or your cellular data internet.

3 replies

May 11, 2012 5:06 AM in response to EamonnX1

Strictly speaking, the GPS receiver does not need an internet connection. However, the Maps app on the iPhone does as it downloads maps on the fly. The nav system in your car already has the maps downloaded. There are other navigation apps available in the App Store. Some of them say they download maps ahead of time (MotionX, is one I believe) and therefore, don't require a data connection.

May 11, 2012 5:06 AM in response to EamonnX1

Yes, the "Maps" app on your iPhone needs an internet connection. But not because of GPS. It's because it loads the map from GoogleMaps in real time. Your navigation device in your car has all the maps already included. The iPhone has not.

You can check your apps wether they need an internet connection by turning wi-fi off and switching to flight mode (turning mobile network off) and then starting your app. It will tell you when it needs wi-fi and/or a mobile network.

Does GPS (Map) function require internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.