Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS froze during iOS 5.1.1 update - how do I get out of recovery mode without having to restore?

So I tried to update my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5.1.1, like iTunes told me to do, and it froze part way through the installation for a couple of hours. I tried to "reset" the iPhone by pressing both the home and power buttons simultaneously, but now iTunes tells me my iPhone is in recovery mode. From my limited knowledge, it seems I need to restore my iPhone, but I don't want to lose anything, like my SMS history.

Is there a way to get out of recovery mode without having to restore?

Thanks!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 18, 2012 11:31 PM

4 replies

May 19, 2012 2:58 PM in response to tcmoff

My iPhone 3gs has been running 5.1.1 fine. Last night it was charging, I removed it from the charger and it froze up with the recovery mode schreen. I have it backed up to icloud, is there a way to restore without losing everything? I don't believe the icloud back up is the same as my itunes back up. Do I need to restore first with itunes and then with the iclud back up?

Jun 1, 2012 9:28 AM in response to gdgmacguy

I came across this post as my iPhone 3Gs had gone into recovery mode on its own accord. I had hundreds of photos unsaved and was gutted when I saw this post, I felt even worse as it was not the information (gdgmacguy) I wanted to read.

Unfortunately, the above post is simply wrong! A system cannot destroy information in a blink of an eye. If it were that easy, the forensic teams across the world would have a hard time. A criminal could simply force a phone into recovery to remove all the data. Please!

I managed not only to take the phone out of recovery mode but also, salvaged all the data held on it.

To be fair, I am a little annoyed at Apple for not offering a salvage option on the device for such a situation. And it may be that they will not like me sharing this information, in which case I believe this view to be morally wrong because photos are so important. We all make mistakes, in terms of forgetting to backup from time to time.

What I used was the Redsn0w software, running as an administrator in XP compatibility mode. In the ‘Extras’ section it as a Recovery Fix option. It simply runs some software that takes the device out of recovery mode. I had to run it twice for some reason but the second time (out of desperation) worked a treat. The phone is now exactly as it was before it went into recovery mode. More to the point, it allowed me to backup all the photos and videos that I had failed to do before hand. And let’s face it, photos and videos are usually the most valuable stuff we keep on our phones.

I hope this help anyone in the same situation. I really hope someone from apple reads it and is able to convince the bosses that a recovery option is very important. And to take note that YES it is possible to recover data on a phone stuck in recovery mode. And more than likely it would be easier for apple, compared to other non-apple professionals.

Good luck.

iPhone 3GS froze during iOS 5.1.1 update - how do I get out of recovery mode without having to restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.