Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover data from iOS Notes App? Or how to undo an action?, How to recover data from iOS Notes App? Or how to undo an action?

I was using the iOS App "Notes" on my iPod touch 4G.

When I went to copy and paste a phrase, the whole scress got highlighted,

then when I touched the screen to change the highlight, it deleted the entire file.

On my MacBook, there is an "undo" function that works with cut and pasting mistakes,

but I could find no function like that for Notes.

Also, on my MacBook, I would be able to retrieve the last saved version of the file,

but I can not find any sync of the Notes App or file in iTunes on my laptop.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 19, 2012 4:17 AM

10 replies

Mar 25, 2017 7:27 AM in response to Edwardwiswrong

Those Undo and Redo curved arrows are there only since iOS 10. I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 9.3.5 and for me only the shake method works. However, you need to have Shake to Undo enabled in iOS Settings > General > Accessibility. When you shake you will be presented with an additional popup window to confirm your undo action – good when you shake by accident 😉

May 27, 2012 6:09 AM in response to nadandeo

After talking to an Apple Genius at the retail store . . .

If you make a "back-up" copy of the iPod touch through iTunes (NOT a SYNC), then the iNotes content will be saved as it is for that moment in time, then data could be retrieved if you "restore" the iPod . . . but then you might lose other things added since the "back-up" was made.

ALSO, there is a "secret" way to utilize an "UNDO" function . . . you must "shake" the iPod until the screen gives you the "UNDO" option . . . this actually works, but is not intuitive and you really have to shake it a lot.

Sep 1, 2013 9:19 PM in response to nadandeo

"nadandeo", a little bit late reply but hope you can still hear. ^^
If you have made a backup, you’re OK. (For those who don’t know, iTunes automatically makes a backup, when you connect your iPou touch to your PC/Laptop).

Without a backup, you CANNOT recover your lost notes, except with recovery software. Here’s a USERGUIDE: How to recover lost iPod NOTES. Do your research, but from experience I can tell you that this is the only way around it. In the future, always make backups. Better safe, than sorry.

Don't fall for anything people tell you , do your own research and check company reviews.

Mar 22, 2014 2:02 AM in response to nadandeo

Nadandeo, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your second post. I got inspired this morning and started writing on my phone in notes and with two errant thumb taps, I pasted over all the work. I shook vigorously several times. About the second or third time, I thought you may have been trolling. I tried again and it worked. I did undo twice and got what I was writing back and immediately saved it. WHEW! thanks so much again. You have no idea the emotions that I went through lol. All the stages of grief I think before it worked.

May 17, 2014 9:15 PM in response to nadandeo

If your notes are associated with Gmail account,

you can open you gmail, go to "All Mail" and you will find your note.

Moreover, you will find several versions of the same note,

since google notes do backup very frequently.

One thing is sure, when you press button "Done" in Notes,

a copy of this note is saved in gmail account.

So, even if you deleted all the notes, you still have a copy of all of them in gmail, All Mail.

Also, as it happened to me, if you accidentally deleted something in a note,

there is a good chance that everything is saved in All Mail.

Good luck, hope it is helpful.

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2016 2:08 AM in response to Edwardwis

Oh, Edward sir, you near enough gave me a heart attack boyo. I'll set the scene. It was a chilly November morning and, due to my tendency to procrastinate, I was frantically attempting to complete my Biology essay before class. As I was typing, my clumsy fingers slipped upon the backspace key, clearing the entirety of my essay and pushing me into a frenzy of rage. In one desperate final attempt, I googled "how to undo on ios notes" and stumbled upon your seemingly ironclad claim that I could not undo my error and that the essay would be gone forever, leaving me victim to the wrath of my fingerless-glove wearing Biology teacher. However, I managed to restore my composure for long enough to search the contents of my keyboard one more time, only to find that the undo key had been right before my eyes. In a tense and dramatic moment, I slowly made the downward swipe onto the button itself with my slender digit. Alas, the essay had returneth to my screen. I write to you today, still procrastinating, to inform you of your idiocy. I want the world to know the following. Edwardwis wrong.

User uploaded file

How to recover data from iOS Notes App? Or how to undo an action?, How to recover data from iOS Notes App? Or how to undo an action?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.