Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer some PDF files from my iPad Kindle app to my actual Kindle?

Can anybody help?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on May 22, 2012 3:36 AM

10 replies

May 22, 2012 3:59 AM in response to eamonn321

Are they PDF's you downloaded from Kindle? or PDF's that you use Kindle to read?

I don't have Kindle, but it's my understanding that once you purchase/acquire a file from them you can download it on any device that you have the Kindle app on.

If it's the latter, non-Kindle PDF's that you use Kindle to read then I'd presume that you have copies of the files on your computer (or you use the data transfer part of the Kindle app to get them back onto your computer) then read the manual for your Kindle and see how it handles files you don't download from the Kindle site.

May 22, 2012 4:10 AM in response to eamonn321

I think this will work. I dont have the Kindle but I have read just a little bit about how they work

The Kindle app uses file sharing so you can transfer the files to the computer via iTunes with file sharing.

iOS: About File Sharing

Then drag the pdf file from the file sharing window (or use the save to button) onto your desktop. Eject your iPad.

Connect the Kindle to you a USB port on the computer and it should appear on the desktop on a Mac - or in Windows - I think it would be "My Computer" - drag the files onto the Kindle.

May 22, 2012 4:43 AM in response to eamonn321

eamonn321 wrote:

Thanks Skydiver and James. These are not PDFs purchased from anywhere - they are from a website. I have saved them in iBooks and in the Kindle app.

Demo - thanks. Seems a bit long winded but perhaps that's the only way.

In that case, with anything in the Kindle app, you may be out of luck. It does a VERY poor job of managing non Kindle files.

May 22, 2012 6:00 AM in response to eamonn321

eamonn321 wrote:

I might just email the docs from iBooks to my Kindle account. By the way, does anyone know why older PDFs disappear from the shelves of my iBooks library?

There have been several reports of PDF issues and iBooks following an update to iOS 5.1.1. I'm not certain what the root cause is, or how widespread the issues actually are, since I haven't experienced it myself. But I don't manage very many PDFs with iBooks; I typically use GoodReader or another app for that. You might do a search on the forum and have a read on some of those threads (althought I'm not sure how useful they will be).

Post back on how the solution of mailing them to the Kindle account works. I'm like to know for future reference. Haven't used that function myself.

May 22, 2012 6:09 AM in response to eamonn321

I have had no issues with iBooks after the update either, but I only use iBooks to store PDFs for short term viewing anyway. I still use iTunes on my Mac and if I need the PDF for future reference, I drag it from the books library after syncing my iPad - like I talked about above.

But I have not had a PDF disappear yet.

How do I transfer some PDF files from my iPad Kindle app to my actual Kindle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.